Safest way to read PDFs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ferrarofilms, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Is there a way to read PDF files without jailbreaking?
    I am talking about large files such as Manuals of Final Cut Pro (47MB) and others

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The "Air Sharing" app will allow you load PDFs and read them on the Touch. Actually, that app will allow you to load (and transport, etc) any file (just like you can with a removeable drive), and you can also view them on-the-go if they're any one of the many types of file (PDF, JPEG, MP4, iWork, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) that the Touch can interpret.

I'm pretty sure there are also other apps, including free ones, that give the same function. Air Sharing is the only one I have any experience with, though.

3. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Yeah - Mail will recognise the PDF and allow you to open / view it :)

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

E-mailing works with small files, but may not be the best solution for files that are many megabytes, like the OP was asking about.

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

What is the size limitation for email/attachments? If, say, 10M, you could always email a 40M file to yourself in 10M segments. A hassle, but it would do the job. Are there any downsides to the Air Sharing app?

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

There are approximately $6.99 downsides, but that's about it. What other kinds of 'downsides' would there be? The app lets you load files on your iPhone/Touch and view them using the OS's integral interpreter just like viewing a PDF in Mail. I believe there are other free apps that do the same thing (Files Lite?), but I've never tried any of them. I've tried Air Sharing, and it works like a charm. It's real purpose is to make your iPhone/Touch a network drive, but it has the side benefit of making files viewable (for the file types that it can).

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

have a look on the app store for discover ;)

description says: easily save files as a flash drive, no more IP address. Discover turns your iPhone/Ipod Touch into a handheld wireless drive.

it reads all office documents, pdf, html, javascript, unicode support, xml, shel script, movies (standard iPhone format), Audio (standard formats), images (standard formats; tiff, gif, jpg, png etc)

and best of all this app is FREE

UK store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292416855&mt=8

EIRE Store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292416855&mt=8

US Store: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292416855&mt=8

9. ferrarofilms thread starter macrumors member

It works.....

Andybno1
    Thanks, it's a breeze. The only thing I've not been able to do is to put the files in each folder. it loads them below the folders and I did not figure out how to move them to any folder.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

cant help there unfortunately I have never used the program

11. liferules macrumors member

Does Air Share also work this way (wireless) or does it sync via the cable? I ask because the wireless doesn't work at work...

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

13. bjlawrence11 macrumors newbie

bjlawrence11

I read somewhere the pdf size is limited by apple...

I've been using an application to read my pdfs. There is a lite free version available on the app. store called "FilesLite". With it you can connect to your iphone/touch wirelessly and drag and drop the files. Then open them in the application on your phone/ipod...

The program is amazing, allows landscape view, page turning, etc. And on the full version (currently 6.99) you can jump to specific pages and add bookmarks, etc. But there seems to be an apple dictated issue with larger pdf files...it crashes with my 25mb files!!! Which truly sucks!!;):apple:

14. goobimama macrumors regular

If you have a mobileme account, you can access your iDisk using MobileFiles (Free) or AIDisk (More features, but $7)

15. goobimama macrumors regular

Also, I'd suggest you split the PDF into several parts before opening it on the iPhone. 47MB and such will just put a huge load on the iPHone's memory. Use Preview to split the PDF.

16. bowdowntozoltan macrumors newbie

Schucks. I wanna read this 31mb file but no go. Need to split it I guess. What's the easiest way?

17. goobimama macrumors regular

Open in Preview » Delete a bunch of pages » Save as part 1. Open original in preview again » Delete a bunch of pages » part 2.