Safety copies of Pages files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bruno.mestre, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bruno.mestre macrumors newbie

Dear users

I am a Mac user and I'm totally addicted to Pages '09. I am currently writing my thesis in Pages and I am strongly considering leaving Word aside.

My only problem lies with safety copies: I am the only Mac user in my house and I'm afraid that if something happens to my computer I will be unable to use the .pages files in my Macbook because the damned Word processor is unable to read them.

Using the export function is not very useful because this would oblige me to maintain hundreds of copies of my files.

Are there any Windows programs that can convert .pages to .doc? This way I could ask my Parents to install it in their PC and I could go there with my external disk in case anything happens (knock three times).

Alternatively are there any Windows word processors that can read pages files?

Thank you

2. zkw29 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same question for the same reason. The only thing I've been able to come up with is to open Google Docs (or similar) and copy/paste over every so often.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Maybe iWork.com would work as a solution? It allows people on any platform to view pages files from a browser. I don't know if they can be converted to other editable formats, though, but you should check it out. It's in free beta right now.