Safety issues with reselling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrWhiteFPS, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DrWhiteFPS macrumors member

Hello,

I am getting ready to buy a new mbp. I currently have a mbp that I purchased 2 years ago. I did not create a backup to the factory setup when I first purchased the mbp. Would love some advice from more experienced members of the form on the following:

- is there still a way to restore my mbp to the factory presets?

- what programs do you recommend to wipe the sensitive data from your mbp before selling it on ebay? And how significant are the risks of selling your mpb on ebay after using the software?

- what should I do when I initially purchase my new mbp in anticipation of 2012 when I will likely want to purchase a new mbp and sell the old one? (ie, to make it easier to erase all of my data and restore it back to the factory presets)

if this has already been covered adequately, I apologize for re-posting, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for in my search.

Thank you!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://mroogle.*************/MRoogle.gif is a good tool to search these forums.

If you have both Macs at the same time, you can use the Setup Assistant (during the first start up) or the Migration Assistant to copy your Applications and all your user data including your account from one Mac to the other via Ethernet, Firewire or W-LAN.

To wipe your HDD you can use Disk Utility and its Security Options to overwrite all data and re-install Mac OS X.
    There are three options to wipe your data, ZERO-OUT, 7-PASS and 35-PASS.

Use Google or MRoogle to find plenty of guides on how to use Migration and Setup Assistant and SECURE ERASE with Disk Utility, as it is covered twice a week at least on these forums.