Safety

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mbpowner, Sep 29, 2016.

1. mbpowner macrumors regular

If windows is run on a macbook pro, is there likely to be more crashes by mac OS, or is it only windows that is more likey to crash?

Also would malware on windows also affect mac?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you run Windows using Bootcamp, it actually boots separately to Windows so would have no impact on macOS at all.

By default, Windows cannot write to the macOS drive, so virus or malware would be able to infect the macOS side of things.

3. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

malware can also affect the motherboard, cpu, etc, which both operating systems share, correct?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No it cannot.

5. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

ah, i knew i can never fully trust the sales advisors at pcworld, etc :p

what's your profession, just curious?

6. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to add to @Weaselboy's sound advice if you'd like to read a more extended explanation.

Although the two experts, @exile360 and @ David H Lipman, in the following thread are Windows experts, their explanations (especially David's long one) will give you a better understanding of malware generally and its non-relationship with hardware. This holds true no matter the platform.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.org/top...at-malware-can-infect-cpu-video-card-and-ram/

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just a retired guy now who enjoys chatting on the forums. :)

8. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

what is your experience with macs/technology,etc?

9. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Wow... I'm actually amazed to see how limited knowledge of malware & viruses are in the general population and those salespeople don't help by lying either.

10. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah cuz tech shops still employ anyone regardless of their tech background. I mean student jobs are available lol

11. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Currys and PC World are really bad. They tried to give me the same BS back in the days and then I taught the guy some stuff. He was thankful at the end of the session. Lol.

My ex's sister used to work in PC World when she was a student just to look pretty. I went to say hello to her one day and heard her talking to a customer. She had no clue what she was talking about. I asked her how's she surviving saying all that . She said nobody cares, 99% of the customers who ask for their help has no clue, so they just say whatever to make the sell.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nothing really formal, just things I picked up on my own over the years.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Technically it can indirectly, but it wouldn't be something one should be worried about at all.

Of course, unless you are running centrifuges for separating nuclear material. :p

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Please post an example of a virus or malware infecting a Mac's EFI/firmware.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That it can not.

16. doynton macrumors 6502

17. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

Had a reply from pros i believe they said only if it corrupts the hard drive.

This thread is closed.

18. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

And, by default, Apple OSX can't write to the Windows drives, so Apple OSX malware can't infect the Windows side of things.

Of course, if you mount the Windows filesystems read/write from the Apple OSX side, or the Apple OSX filesystems read/write from the Windows side - then malware can cross the operating system divide.

No, it's not.

19. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I just closed the thread, so now you're trespassing :cool:

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I said, by default Windows cannot write to the macOS drive, so there is no way for an infection to occur. For Windows to write to the macOS drive, one would need to add third party software to Windows.

21. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

The third party software may be malware.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows

I'm not sure what you mean. My point was the Windows partition cannot write to the macOS volume unless you install something like the software at this link under Windows. Then Windows could write to the Mac side and potentially infect things.

23. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

I'm saying that something canbe potentially affected by malware so it can affect things.

question answered , i guess.
    Thread closed.

24. doynton macrumors 6502

Sure it could. Potentially. You could potentially have some Windows malware that included a HFS driver. Or some macOS malware that included a NTFS driver. Or some malware could reformat partitions.

In any case you'd have to install it (as drivers aren't user mode programs) and if you install something that then your potential malware could do anything. What is more relevant is no such malware exists (on either platform) afaik.

btw you can't close threads - only mods can ;)

25. mbpowner thread starter macrumors regular

what about can installing malware on virtual machine cause malware to be written to the actual comp?