Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
No hate. :)

We should all be reminded, at times, what is truly important, and what is, in the greater scheme of things, trivial. Occasional reminders of a larger perspective are important.

I agree with you and that other poster. I'm one to pamper myself and spend my money 'selfishly', but when I see **** like this, it really does make me feel bad. It's amazing (scary, rather) that I have the ability to forge ahead with my happy life, with such little disregard.

Whether you're a middle class individual, or a very profitable business, the fact remains that there's still much more that COULD be done, yet we make it all better by reminding ourselves that there are these lovely charities who will take care of the less fortunate, but we all know that's still FAR from enough. -- Makes me wonder what the world would look like if we all REALLY gave a ****.

----------

Yes, it's all about money, isn't it? This has nothing to do with Saks my friend, nothing at all. I won't bother you any more. But have you looked at the picture at all? Don't answer, as I will not reply. Or won't be able to reply. I hope you like your new iPhone 5.

You made your point. I even agreed with you and admitted that, yeah, we (people and businesses alike) are predominantly driven by greed and self-serving agendas, but you didn't have to throw in your little jabs at the end. "Enjoy your iPhone 5, enjoy your iPad."

A little perspective is always welcome, but little sarcastic comments like that totally make you sound like a self-righteous nut. You've been a member of these forums for four years. SURELY, you own nice, expensive Apple stuff. Doubt you're just hanging on these forums for the hell of it.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Yes, it's all about money, isn't it? This has nothing to do with Saks my friend, nothing at all. I won't bother you any more. But have you looked at the picture at all? Don't answer, as I will not reply. Or won't be able to reply. I hope you like your new iPhone 5.

yes i did see the picture.

LMAO at you trying to guilt me into not blaming this company for spending the money they've earned. And at trying to shame me into the fact that I've earned my money and i can spend it however i wish. You act as if before we buy something nice with our hard earned cash, we should say no, "I'm not buying this" just because some people out in the world who can't, if we did that no one would ever buy anything. There will always be the less fortunate or poor but that doesn't mean we have to give every cent to them, especially a business.

and yes, for a business, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

THATS THEIR PRIMARY GOAL, TO MAKE MONEY, THE ONLY REASON THEY EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Wow your snotty attitude just ruined your "cause".

If you want to draw attention to a cause, trying to guilt people who are reading a thread isn't the way to do it. You should have posted in the community forum. Not to mention Saks, not Macrumors posters are the ones who bought the iPads for an ad. That being said how do you know Saks doesn't donate to charities based off the money they make in advertising like this? Many people and companies who donate wish to remain anonymous because it shows that they are doing it because they care and not doing it for attention only.

Also, as others have stated little jabs make you look immature and invalidate your cause.

I am all for charity and donations, but there is a way to go about it and this is not it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
While the situation in Somalia is tragic, it simply is not the problem of Saks Fifth, Nordstrom, Bergdorf Goodman, or any other retail outlet. Their only concern should be to their investors, and to their customers. Also the tragedies around the world are not my problem or my family's problem, hence why I am wearing a $795 Ermenegildo Zegna sweater right now that I bought last week at Bergdorf and not a $25 sweater from TJ Maxx coupled with a donation to the Red Cross. I really am tired of everyone saying that it's the job of wealthy corporations and people to save the rest of the world, it's not.

Not to save the world, but perhaps make some gesture toward other, less affluent, humans.

Proportionally, it would be nice if all of us made some similar gesture.

(***K Ayn Rand! :p)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
[/B]

Not to save the world, but perhaps make some gesture toward other, less affluent, humans.

Proportionally, it would be nice if all of us made some similar gesture.

(***K Ayn Rand! :p)

That gesture is made every year before April 15th in order to drop down a tax bracket, at least by my parents:p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That gesture is made every year before April 15th in order to drop down a tax bracket, at least by my parents:p

Well, that's OK too.

I care more about actions than motivation. Yes, it would be nice if it was done out of pure altruism, but as long as it gets done - good. :D

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
That is exactly the point of this display. This is Saks Fifth Avenue selling haute couture merchandise. The fact that they are using iPads conveys that they are hip to current technology and that they have money to spend on an extravagant display like this.

Just imagine the money they could have saved had they used HP TouchPads? Would most folks been able to tell the difference?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Just imagine the money they could have saved had they used HP TouchPads? Would most folks been able to tell the difference?

That's the thing about the world of high fashion, there can be no corner cutting. Corner cutting anywhere results in a inferior experience or product for the consumer. So to be honest Saks doesn't care about saving money, because they can pass their expenses onto their customers, the majority of whom couldn't care less about saving money. Once you're dropping $200 for a single t-shirt, saving money is kind of irrelevant, the quality of the product and the shopping experience however are extremely important.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What a waste

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

What a waste, and looks terrible.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that these iPads would be destroyed when Saks installs its next window display :rolleyes:

Obviously it wasn't a waste b/c it gets attention, which is the point of a window display. When is the last time a Saks window display made it to the front page of MR? I'm sure Saks will find a nice home for these iPads when they are done with them. They won't go into the dumpster.

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice post Caliber26.

The world truly is selfish and egoism rules this sand box. Faulty conditioning upon faulty conditioning. But we still manage to hold onto the sense that their is a better way. I love that about people. I believe we make change a little at a time.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I don't realy care if they use iPads or any other tablet, but combining so many (relatively) small devices with such a great amount of "bezel-black" does not suit my aesthetic sense.
The Cinema-Display-Window looks nice though.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
how is this done? i have seen an idependent store near my house showcase a video or presentation using a couple of ipads as well..
is this an app or a program?
can anyone tell me pls?

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
sweet unoriginal idea. these guys did the same thing well over a year ago http://vimeo.com/13404489

These are iPods and not iPads!

----------

I can understand why they did it seeing as Apple is king and so is the iPad and so to advertise with them is a good idea in theory. However, I'm sure the rich people (older) that shop here could care less about gadgets such as the iPad.

According to AARP: Most respondents to a survey of 50+ seniors had heard of the Apple iPad (83%) and a small percentage of these respondents already own one (2%). Another one-tenth of those aware plan on or want to purchase an iPad (11%). Fewer Hispanic respondents had heard of the Apple iPad (59%). (June 2010)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.