Sale prices at Best Buy.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JMies419, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Current "on sale" prices at Best Buy beat the Apple stores prices even after the education discount (which I am able to get). Does Best Buy usually run sales on Apple products or is this a sign of new things to come? Also, is there any reason NOT to purchase a Apple computer at Best Buy? I would assume I could still take it to the Apple store if I had issues with it. Info would be appreciated, thanks!

2. roofz macrumors regular

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

When you buy an Apple product from an authorized retailer, such as Best Buy, you receive a 1 year warranty from Apple (you can buy an extended warranty through Apple or Best Buy.) Apple calls their warranty "Applecare". When you connect your computer online you will be asked to register it with Apple, at which time, your computer, and its warranty, are now in Apple's system.

If during your warranty period, you have an issue with your mac, you should first go to the Apple website and go through their chat or phone procedure. If they agree there is an issue, they will most likely make an appointment at the nearest Apple store for you to have your problem fixed by a genius. They don't care where you purchased it once it is in the warranty system, they just want to fix your computer for the least cost to them, which is most likely you bringing the product into the store.

Good luck with the purchase!

4. Akack macrumors 6502a

Best Buy has been discounting Macs for quite some time now, so no it's not a one time sale.

5. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! I would rather purchase it from the Apple store direct but the closest Apple store to me is around 50 miles and Best Buy is less than 2 miles away. Looks like I will be purchasing it there! It ends up being around $19 cheaper, nothing really significant but when you account for the time to go to the Apple store + gas prices its a no brainer.

6. lolwut89 macrumors member

I saw a returned Macbook Air 13" at my best buy as an open box item for $999. I didn't get it because I asked about the warranty and they said, "It doesn't matter it still has it." Yeah, if that laptop's been sitting there for a month it does matter, jackasses.

I don't know I think you should get it at an Apple Store if one is near you. The experience alone is worth it ;)

7. captgecos macrumors newbie

captgecos

I've bought my MBP & MBA at best buy with no problems. It is more convienant for me and you can return if necessary. I also got $200 of my MBA (forgot why it was discounted - not open box). In addition, because I usually buy through best buy, I used reward points to get another $200 off. It worked out really good for me :)

8. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

At best buy you can usually double up too! I was able to get a $100 student discount on top of the $100 best buy sale when I bought my MacBook air. This was also when apple was giving a $100 app store card which best buy also honored. All in all a killer deal.

9. philxor macrumors regular

I bought one from BB as well when they had the $200 off sale a couple months back, can't beat that at the apple store or anywhere else.

10. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

Same here. $200 off the 13" MBA base model was too tempting to pass up.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

what experience is worth driving 50 miles each way? they don't massage your feet when you walk in the store, nor do they bring you a drink with an umbrella in it. they ask what you want, you point it out, wait in line, pay for it and leave. lets not make it more than what it really is.

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Actually...the BB employee was correct. If you purchase an "open box" item from an authorized seller of Apple products...you can call Apple with receipt and purchase information and they will indeed 'reset' your warranty from the date of your purchase (not that of the original owner).

The Best Buy deals are excellent...across the board. Not sure about your local BB...but ours have been on sale since long before Christmas...and they've never gone off sale! Kinda cool...but they only sell the base models, no extras like you'll find at the actual Apple store.

J

13. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I bought my 13" 256GB Air open box from BB (get rewards for it and really easy for me to return if needed).

The Applecare was a breeze to get on it, the warranty was good to go even though it was open box. I was going to buy the additional Applecare anyway so it was a great way to get $250 off MSRP for me. I also ended up getting $70 off the printer I went in to buy as well as part of the deal.

14. JMies419 thread starter macrumors 6502

Best Buy offers student discounts?!

15. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

Is that necessary? I just registered both my TBD and MBA through the site and had the warranty date changed.

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

im pissed i missed out on the 200 dollars off mba base model. it would have done me no good anyway i guess i have apple gift cards. maybe i should have asked for best buy gift cards ><. it would have been cheaper.