Sales and Demand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallManNY, Sep 27, 2015.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

So how do folks think the sales for the phone is going to be this weekend? Is Apple breaking the 10 million record from last year? Is it just going to do that because China launched during the first weekend?

Many people I knew got the 6 during the first month or two of its sales. I'm basically the only person I know who is buying again this year. I know a few people who will be upgrading from older iPhones though.

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

13 million predicted. I just know Samsung would kill to have those numbers!

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well seeing as Apple said they're on course for equalling/beating last year..."We are on pace to beat last year’s 10 million-unit first-weekend record when the new iPhones go on sale Sept. 25.”"

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think inventory and the number of countries the new phones were rolled out in will make a big difference. I am betting it will be a record breaker!

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't think it will get as many "early" upgraders, but as Tim Cook pointed out, only 27% of the iPhone base had upgraded to the 6 as of June. There are still a lot of people rocking iPhones 5 and 5S who will upgrade, and there is still room for Apple to grow in China.

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

That quote was from more than a week ago, I think.

I also think a record will be hit, but mainly because China is in the launch weekend and the pre-order time was a little bit earlier from shipment date, so more time to make phones.

I think the initial demand for this phone will be lower than last year. But I think it will have great legs as it is so advanced. Also the carriers are giving out great deals; so it is hard for other phones to as easily beat Apple on price. So in total I think this will outsell the 6. But I'm not expecting the pace of sales in the first quarter to stay above last year. That is unless Chine really surprises in a big way.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well if you're correct expect the stock to take a big hit tomorrow. I'm sure Wall Street is expecting a press release from Apple and my guess is if they don't announce at least 15M the stock will be down a couple percent.

10. t0mat0, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Only have to wait a month and i'm sure Cook will mention something in the quarterly earnings call around Oct 21st.

The market is nuts around Apple - it's not just x/y.z happened so the price will go up/down. It's famous for big swings around earnings calls for example with no apparent simple logic. Investors and analysts can make a killing pushing the stock down, then riding it back up.

then you have things like: Being short on Apple because watchOS2 was a few days late. Or that Joanna Stern said the iPhone 6s was better than the 6.
    http://www.thestreet.com/story/13302466/1/apple-comcast-bank-of-america-doug-kass-views.html

11. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I assume Apple will announce sales for the weekend. And yes I wouldn't be surprised if it beats 10 million. But I don't know if we will strongly beat the results from last year''s first quarter because there won't be the pop from the China launch. Yeah, I won't be surprised if the stock drops tomorrow. As the traders come back to work on Monday and they look around at how many fewer 6S have been bought by their peers compared to the 6. I think there will some dropping of Apple stock.

However in the long run the performance of the 6S and the continued lead of iOS Apps is going to make this phone a huge success. I think this is the year in the U.S. where it becomes clear that iOS is going to be the Windows of smartphone OS. Basically all the major carriers are selling the phone for no money down. Everyone upgrading from any other smartphone is going to strongly consider the iPhone. I think this is the year U.S. developers in large numbers start abandoning making Android versions of their Apps.

12. bugelrex macrumors regular

Flippers are not making much. only $100 over retail for rose gold 64Gb on NYC craiglist and ebay.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Well Apple announced 13M. Stock hasn't moved much pre-open. The website below which tracks Apple Store shipping dates in major launch countries shows the earliest ship date is 10/5, lots of 10/19, some 1-2 weeks and the 6S Plus is mostly showing 3-4 weeks out. I tried to reserve a 64GB space gray and only a handful of Apple stores were listed as being available to reserve. My state wasn't (and it has 5 Apple stores).

http://iphone-inventory.blogspot.com/2015/09/iphone-6s-pre-order-tracker.html