Sales tax-free purchase through Oregon shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by broncopde, Apr 19, 2010.

1. broncopde macrumors 6502

A couple of years ago I was looking to buy a new MacBook Pro. I ended up waiting it out until now and have decided it's time to go for it. Back then when I started thinking about it I discovered (I believe through this forum) a company in Oregon who for $85 dollars you could ship your order to them and they would turn around and ship it to you.

I have searched and searched here and on Google to find this company again and have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know of this company or any company like it in any of the 5 sales tax-free states?

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

i dont know about the company, but bhphotovideo is selling the macbooks/macbook pros for slightly less than the apple retail store(i saw it was $50 less for the new base 13inch model) and there is no tax (didn't show up any tax when i tried to add it to my cart...i live in arizona fyi) and no shipping too...sounds pretty decent deal to me...and they are a pretty big company too!

cheers...

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

This could be worth it if you get the education discount if not. Perhaps check out macmall they usually have pretty good deals.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm seeing that I should have included the following in my original post:

I am a student, and I also want to get an SSD and hi-res screen so I will be buying from Apple. Therefore, I am really wanting to find this company or a similar one.

6. caonimadebi macrumors regular

FYI this would be a deliberate attempt of tax evasion. I seriously doubt any legitimate business can survive the legal scrutiny by offering this service. Beware of fraud

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Many UPS stores/mailboxes etc will provide a re-shipping service if you call and ask.

Depending on how apple deems your tax state based on billing/credit card or shipping address.... no idea.. but if they base on shipping address then you can use the above option :)

8. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I will cerainly check into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

Looked around a bit. Apple does indeed tax based on one's shipping address. It seems a possible solution would be to get a mailbox at a UPS in Oregon and then use forwarding from that to here in Arkansas. Is that what you are referring to?

10. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

11. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

That's it! Thanks so much. Now I'll just have to compare this to UPS mail forwarding. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

12. Raje macrumors member

Just install the SSD yourself, you can get a much faster and cheaper one from a third party any SSD would work. As for the high-res display that might be tough to find one with that from a third party, you could try ebay and maybe in a few weeks some places such as macconnection might have some in stock with this option.

13. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually am going to hold out on the SSD durect from Apple after further reading. I'll probably install one sometime over the next year. So I'm just getting stock plus high res screen...still trying to decide between glossy and matte.

14. hungryzi macrumors newbie

Has it worked for you? I'm in the same situation and I need your advices. Thank you!

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I always wondered about a service such as this in case I decide to up and move and travel--will have to keep that bookmark. Thanks.

16. broncopde thread starter macrumors 6502

I've delayed my purchase until a little later this summer. I will post my experience soon after whenever it occurs.