Sales Tax on Online Purchases

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .JahJahwarrior., Mar 22, 2011.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Doing a small study on sales tax and online purchases for a course in Global Finance. We have to measure the effect that the internet has on some cash flow. As we all know, the internet often results in sales tax free purchases in the US.

This survey takes only a few seconds, asks very simple questions such as "do you buy online to avoid sales tax," and collects NO identifying information.

Google Docs Survey
    Survey aside, I would love to hear from people here about using online purchases to avoid sales tax. I know things like the iPad are expensive, do you buy online to avoid tax and have to wait for it, or do you go line up to get it sooner, but pay tax? And international users, how do sales taxes work in your country?

I'm so ready to get out of academia...this whole four quarters a year, 6 classes a quarter, one research paper in most class, thing, has gotten old.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Took it. I always buy online to avoid tax. :)

4 quarters a year, still in HS?

4. .JahJahwarrior. thread starter macrumors 6502

One year accelerated MBA program...doing two years of school in one year, it's crazy busy.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No such rule exists in the UK. We pay 20% sales tax on almost everything we buy, online and offline.

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I live in one of the highest sales tax areas in the US.

I still prefer to buy stuff in stores but end up buying a lot online because it's not available locally. I do often drive to neighboring counties and shop there when possible to avoid the Cook County taxes as a minor protest.

This year we had a chance to voluntarily send Illinois an "estimated tax for online purchases based on income".

I sent it because it will very probably become mandatory AND retroactive very soon. This is Illinois, after all.:eek:

Have Fun,
    Keri