Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macosupafly, Jul 5, 2007.

1. macosupafly macrumors newbie

I know that apple does not charge sales tax when you buy a gift card...

however, do they charge sales tax when you buy an item with the giftcard.

I am a college student who goes out of state for college, and I am going to be caught in between the 2 tax free weekends during my travels. so I was wondering if i bought the full amount of the computer in gift cards. then went back and used them to buy the computer if I would end up having to pay taxes on it.

Thank you, and I know this is a stupid question , but hey it's worth a try.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm a bit confused...

but here is a shot. the only time/day that you'll get the tax free is on those days. period.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Think of it like this, when you buy a gift card, you're essentially trading money for money. They legally cannot tax you for that.

However, when you then use "their" money (AKA the gift card) you're purchasing goods with "money" and thus, sales tax will be charged.

4. macosupafly thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, I didn't think it would work, but thanks alot.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Soooo, were you thinking of buying $1400 worth of gift cards and getting a Blackbook tax free? ;)

6. macosupafly thread starter macrumors newbie

no, actually 1800 and getting a 15' mbp, i already had the core duo blackbook, but wanted to get the new santa rosa mbp

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It's much easier to just order from MacMall. They don't charge sales tax and shipping is usually free. Of course, you should claim the purchase on your state taxes and pay the sales tax then (I think it's then called a 'use tax'), but whether or not you do that is between you and your conscience. ;)

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

So why don;t you the buy the computer, not gift cards when you are in another state

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That's what I do. I live in NJ and buy stuff in DE since they have no tax. NJ already taxes me enough. Granted if I buy something large in DE and they deliver it to me then I have to pay tax, but if I load it on my truck and transport it to NJ no tax paid... Is this wrong I think not since the government does what ever they feel like with your taxes anyway

10. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

They certainly do. I just ordered a MacBook Pro and the bulk of the actual price was covered by an Apple Gift Card I had. But I had to pay tax on the purchase as a whole. :)

11. macosupafly thread starter macrumors newbie

is macmall trustworthy, are they new products or used, cause they seem pretty cheap on the site.

12. leviut macrumors newbie

leviut

american musical supply

I ordered my macbook from american musical supply co... google the website. I am in Texas, and they shipped from Jersey... TAX FREE. I saved alot that way.

Use them!!

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why not buy from amazon? they ship for free and don't charge tax, and you even get a rebate, making the total cost cheaper than student prices with tax. the thing i don't like about gift cards is the off-chance that you need to return the item. you can't get your money back; you simply get the credit deposited into the gift card.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yeah, they're on the level. My company has purchased from them a number of times.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I've heard one or two bad things about Mac Mall. Things like them refusing to take back a DOA notebook back, and sometimes their products come with cracked screens or whatever. Mind you, this is just speculation and hearsay, but I've never heard a bad thing about Mac Connection. They have the same low prices, no taxes, and somone I know recommended it to me. Although I didn't use it, I think you should be fine.