Salesman suggested a higher end iMac. Please advise.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kafel, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kafel, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

kafel macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I know asking which imac to buy have been asked a zillion times but I appreciate if someone can help me out.

After surfing the net for a suitable mac for my home use, I made the decision to purchase a 27" 2.7ghz iMac (no upgrades except for the ram). I went to the store today with the intention to purchase one but the salesman suggested that I buy the 3.4ghz i7 instead after I told him what I'll be using the iMac for. I'm not sure if he merely wants more commission or i should really get a better one.

I will be using the iMac to surf the net, transfer music from my iTunes to my iPhone, watch movies online and edit photos with photoshop. I'm just a photography hobbyist and i usually edit my photos twice or thrice a week. (sometimes not use photoshop for weeks) As for games, i will probably only install The Sims. So do I really need a 3.4ghz, get a 3.1ghz or just stick to the 2.7ghz?

Should I get the magic mouse or trackpad?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2.7Ghz sounds like the perfect CPU for your needs.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would get the 2.7GHz model and upgrade your RAM, best bang for your buck, unless you might find yourself using Photoshop more often get the 3.4GHz if you'll need the computer to last longer.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah the base iMac 27" would be more than enough for your needs :)

5. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Do not spend money getting to more expensive model. You might buy some RAM or possibly add a SSD later but I'd save that money and use it when you upgrade in a year or so.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah... the salesman was just trying to suck more money out of you. No reason to get anything more than the base for what you do. I'd also suggest buying the RAM 3rd party and installing yourself. It's a really easy installation and you save a ton of money that way.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Editing photos is a breeze on any of those models. If it's running slow for you it's not the cpu. There are cases where I'd suggest a higher end model for this. If you're someone who regularly builds up massive files in illustrator, deals with 60 megapixel digital back files, files with 100+ layers, and similar things on a regular basis. None of the other stuff you mentioned is terribly cpu intensive either. The thing is especially for your needs, I don't think buying the higher end model would greatly influence your repurchasing cycle or overall level of satisfaction with the machine for however long you own it.

8. Spike88, Oct 18, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Suggest "2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5" is enough for your average home user needs. For now, I would order 4 GB of ram. After running for 2+ months, use Activity Monitor to decide if more RAM is needed. And if more ram is needed, buy 3rd party RAM (like OWC store) at a franction of Apple's RAM upgrade cost.

For mouse or track pad, I'd recommend buying both. Use both and decide which is best for you. Some folks love the Apple mouse, some folks love the Apple Track pad and some folks love a non-Apple mouse. Each person is different. Suggest buying both and use what works best for you.

Also... Remember that some Computer Store Sales Reps work on commission (or base + commission). The more they sell, the more they make. Therefore, its in their best interest to "try" and sell you the higher priced product - which is often more (too much more) than the average home user needs.

Hope this helps....

9. kafel, Oct 18, 2011

kafel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the responses! :) I'll stick to my original choice then!

The reason why I'm buying from the local store is because since I'm not upgrading the processor and HDD, I need not purchase online. They are offering 20% off apple care, free 4gb ram upgrade and free delivery.

10. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad

To answer your 2nd question.

I'd go for the Trackpad.

As for the reasons: I'm actually kind of used to the Trackpad due to my MBP, but have been used to using mice aaaaall my life. With Lion, though, I do no longer consider a mouse an alternative. There's just too many (and useful, too!) multitouch gestures and hand fatique is lessened.
    I do have both the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad, but use the former almost never. If I really need a mouse (for gaming purposes) I just use a wired logitech one, as the Magic Mouse is not really compatible with gaming.

Ultimately YMMV, but I really believe the trackpad to be the better choice, not only in general, but also for the things you stated you were going to do.

11. kafel thread starter macrumors newbie

I have small hands and yet I find the mouse quite uncomfortable. Trackpad seems better for pinching and zooming in on photos! :)

I might get both as suggested by Spike88.

12. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Well since the price is not likely to make a difference...
    I'd recommend getting ONLY the trackpad first. If you then realize that you, for whatever reason, NEED a mouse... go buy it. Buying it right away seems like wasting money to me. Unless of course you can get it now as a bundle with a lower total price.

But in the end... it is your decision. We are all differently and there is no single right answer to this question. Your iMac will make you happy either way.

13. kafel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah! I believe my mac will make me happier than windows regardless of what I choose. :) I'll ask tomorrow if I can get the trackpad instead of the mouse for free. If I'm not wrong only ordering online gives me an option to get either the mouse or trackpad for free. Thank you very much! :)

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I too recommend getting the trackpad over the apple mouse if they offer that option. I never got comfortable using the apple mouse, and if you need a mouse (say for gaming), you can always get a cheap logitech mouse, which I feel works even better. No similar alternative for trackpads.

I also own the 27' base model, and I am not regretting it. I typically use about 3-3.5 gb of ram, so 4gb should be just enough for you. Of course, it doesn't hurt that my shop offered free upgrade to 8gb of ram, but I have yet to come close to needing that much. Yet. :p

Now, if only I can find someone willing to add in a SSD for cheap...:eek:

15. wambo macrumors newbie

You definately don't need the more powerful machine for the task's you've described. The less powerful will be plenty! I love my Magic Mouse!! Its great, get both! You can do things with the track pad that you can't with the moust, but the mouse is very nice to use.

16. kafel thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end, I took both the mouse and trackpad! Can't resist 20% off and the trackpad isn't expensive. My iMac is going to be delivered tomorrow! :)

17. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

I was under the impression that Apple sales people did not work on commission. I am sure someone here can clarify that. In the salesman's defense if he recommends a model that you find his not enough computer then it will be his fault. By recommending the top model he has got the situation covered. Think of it as sales person self-defence. No one likes people yelling at them all the time.

18. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I work in retail, and I'm not paid on commission either. You're still (obviously, i thought) trained to get every extra dollar for the store you can. Handsell, handsell, handsell is what I hear at work every day. And it's what I relay to the employees below me.

19. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, Future Shop or Best Buy (perhaps both ???) work on base + commission. If wondering, these are Canadian computer stores...

20. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Best buy employees do not make commission in the U.S.

21. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Then its FS store. I know it was one of them. Proof? Use google search and look for "Future Shop Commission". Amazing how many threads appear.

22. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I realize some people make commission. It's just USUALLY clothing stores that do that. People dont think as hard about buying clothes as they do about buying a computer, thus easier to play an active role in upselling.

23. kafel, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

kafel thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to a PC megastore to get my iMac and they have an apple section. :) The salesman work for the store. The second time i was there, I was served by a nice sales lady and i also saw a guy in an apple t-shirt giving advice to other customers. Both of them agreed that the base model is more than enough for my needs. When i asked questions regarding members' perks and delivery, the apple guy will turn to the sales lady and she will answer them. Apparently that guy doesn't work for the megastore so he wasn't wearing the store uniform. Might be an Apple employee?

Actually no one should yell at the salesman if they buy the wrong computers. We are aware that we can always ask online if we have doubts (I did! :) ) I can't say the same for household products eg: washer, vacuum cleaner as those buyers might not be Internet savvy.