Salvaging a dead macbook's harddrive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KOSTUDENT, Mar 24, 2012.

1. KOSTUDENT macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2012
    Hi all,

I recently had a 2008 macbook die on me. I was told that the mother board is dead and the hard drive is likely spared. I have been doing some digging online and it seems that I can take the drive out and put it in an external enclosure, so that it can function as an external hard drive.

I looked on apple's website and it appears that this macbook model uses a SATA drive. So I found this external enclosure:

So, I had a couple of questions:

1.) Do I need any tools to put the drive in and secure it in the external enclosure?

2.) If I use the USB cable to attach the drive to a different computer, will I be able to drag and drop files directly off the drive or will the new computer attempt to reformat the drive?

3.) Has anyone used the website The website seems professional enough, but I just wanted to make sure they are "legit" before I actually do business with them.

Thanks in advance!
  2. iMacC2D, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Jun 3, 2009
    I use this website, the tools are more than you'll need but great and last long, and affordable:

Installing, and removing a hard drive is really simple. Just be sure you don't have static issues. Make sure the drive enclosure is for a 2.5 drive.
    This video will help you taking out the drive: Drive removal
    This video will help you put the drive in the enclosure: Enclosure Install
    Just skip his "reformat" step.

Hope that helps.