Salvaging data on dead MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Munch, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Munch macrumors member

So, an unfortunate accident happened and my sister spilled water on her 2010 MacBook Air. Some measures were taken to save it but it won't turn on now. I assume the logic board or something fried. She's going to take it to a Genius to find out.

Now, assuming the hard drive is still functioning, what are my options in helping her retrieve the contents of the drive? She does not have backups (but I think she will from now on...)

Will Apple and could Apple retrieve the files and load them on a new Mac if she were to buy a new one?

I have a 2012 MBA myself. Could I buy the right screw drivers, take a part both the machines and boot up my laptop with her hdd? Then transfer the contents to an external hard drive?

Are there any dock options where I can plug the MBA's SSD into it and make it into an external HDD?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. Munch thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Definitely considering it.

So is putting her 2010 ssd in my 2012 MBA a no go? It would be the cheapest option if it did work.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... the 2012 has a different connector. This external is the only way I know of.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It might be cheapest short-term (if it could work), but unless you're experienced with laptop repairs (and even if you are), it could turn into an expensive solution, both time-wise and in terms of potential accidental damage.

Besides, no matter which path you took, when you're done, your sister would have a new computer with a new drive plus a (presumably) perfectly functional SSD. For the cost of that enclosure, you or your sister will be able to put that spare SSD to work as an external SSD. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.

6. Munch thread starter macrumors member

So she took it to the store, and it's a goner. They weren't able to test the SSD since they don't have MBAs that take those SSDs (2010/11). They were nice enough to take out the SSD for her and anti-static baggy it, so I didn't have to go looking for a pentalobe screwdriver.

Good news is the enclosure is on clearance! :)http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MAU3ENVOYOB/ Bad news is that my overnight shipping to Canada costs more than the enclosure. :( Here's hoping the SSD wasn't toasted.