SAM IMEI backup on factory unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chuckd83, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chuckd83 macrumors regular

I purchased my iPhone in the U.S. and moved to Singapore. The phone was obviously locked to AT&T and did not work on Singapore carriers. However, I requested a new phone through the warranty program and the iPhone they returned to me was unlocked. It is illegal in Singapore to sell a carrier locked phone. After several months of use on StarHub, it required a restore in which it relocked it to AT&T. Applecare explained to me that when it was restored, the serial number was matched to my AT&T profile. I again requested a new phone through the warranty program and again they returned to me an unlocked phone.

Will the SAM IMEI unlock backup work in my case? I'm afraid if I deactivate and activate, it will lock it once again to AT&T.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why don't you sell it as a locked phone to someone in the US and buy an unlocked phone? If I could have bought an unlocked phone, I would've.

3. Grimsrud macrumors member

I got a new, unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 (Hong Kong model) for $840 on eBay. My near-mint AT&T-locked phone netted me about $600 on eBay. Since I made the purchase about 6 weeks ago, the price is probably a bit lower now. I'm very satisfied with it, I will never have to worry about unlocking ever again.

4. chuckd83 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the responses, but I really don't want to go through the trouble of buying/selling the iPhone. I will buy a factory unlocked one when I leave in two years, but for now I would like to know if I can back up the unlock I have now.

Will jailbreaking the iPhone I have now lock it?
    Will deactivating it and activating it through SAM lock it?

(keep in mind that last time I restored a replacement phone like this, it locked it since iTunes paired it with my AT&T profile)

5. chuckd83 thread starter macrumors regular

Does somebody have an answer? I would like to have the ability to upgrade my iOS while maintaining my unlock.

6. Federico macrumors member

You will loose the official unlock because your original iPhone was locked to AT&T, when you get a replacement, they transfer your old profile (ATT) to the new iPhone.

Get an unlock simcard for 5~10 just a case ;)

7. chuckd83 thread starter macrumors regular

Right now, the phone is apparently under the previous owner's profile (Singaporean) and it is unlocked. When I restore, it will pair it with my profile and lock it. My question is: is there a way to recover the unlock activation code from the previous owner's profile before restoring? Is it somewhere in the phone or iTunes?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cant.
    When they exchange it the imei is matched with the original you handed in that has the AT&T profile and it will lock up again. SAM has nothing to do with it. Not much you can do but sell it like said above. Each time you restore it will do the same.