Samba Mobile - Free iPad Internet (For Watching Ads)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RossMc, May 29, 2012.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not sure if anyone has tried this and it won't be for everyone but I remember signing up for reminders about this a while ago basically you pay £4.99+ P&P for a sim card from them and get free internet. You have to earn 'Samba Credits' to access the free internet by watching Ads.

I haven't tried it as I don't have a 3G iPad but thought I would post it on here incase anyone wants to try it. I know everyone hates ads but for people who don't want to pay for 3G access it might be an option.

https://www.sambamobile.com/Home/IndexIpad

2. qCzar macrumors regular

That's incredibly tempting, but they lack prominent information regarding their credits. How much data per credit? They also seem to be United Kingdom only, which is a bummer. I'm in the US, but maybe those credits cover roaming too?

I'll look into it, and even state-side alternatives. It's interesting and good to know a network/service like this exists.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

3.5 MB of data per video ad. They're really making you a slave to brands for pittance. The initial £5 charge for the SIM is ludicrous. I bet they make more money out of people buying the sim and realising the service isn't worth the effort.
    I am curious which major network infrastructure they're using though - presumably Three?

4. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

I agree. Interesting idea but the rewards are just not big enough. You could sit there watch 5 adverts get 17mb of data, click on the wrong youtube video and have your 17.5mb zapped by another advert.

In answer to your question though, it is indeed Three that they are using. I find them very good for data, so not a bad choice for this service IMHO.

5. Dashman macrumors newbie

Samba free internet

I signed up for the service a couple of weeks ago. I get 3.5MB for every ad view and they don't charge you for viewing the ad.. I can also watch a few ads when I'm on my home connection which charges my account enough to use when I'm out during the day. It meant I could cancel my Vodafone contract so should save myself £112.50 after I've paid for my sim... Even if I decide to bin it after a month or two i've still saved a few quid...

6. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Interesting information, thanks for finding it.

My thoughts: This looks like a scam. It sounds like one of those bright ideas people used to get in the dot.com era. For example, I remember earning money for browsing! All I needed to do was have an advert on my screen at all times. I earned about $1.50 before the scheme went bust.

If the SIM was free I'd give it a try but I'm not prepared to even gamble £5. Don't forget that they'll probably use and abuse your address and phone number to get full value for money out of you.

As we've discussed here, you can get SIMs on the Three network that'll work out at as little as £4 per gigabyte of data. I know times are hard but who can't afford £4 per month, especially if you've already stumped up the cash for an iPad :)

Here's the link to the SIM discussion: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1368024

7. djharris macrumors member

There's something like this in the U.S. from NetZero (yes, the same company from the dial-up days)

http://www.netzero.net/

The "Catch" is you have to purchase a device from them (USB Stick for $50 or Hotspot for $100). The free tier of service gives 200MB per month, but if you need more data the pricing is pretty reasonable.

Another "Catch" is you have to use it where Clear service is available (That is the Sprint "4G" WiMax implementation) and it does NOT have fallback to Sprint's 3G (CDMA) network like Virgin Mobile Broadband does. You can check coverage availability on the NetZero site.

8. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

What a rip off; watch a video, view webpage, watch a video, view webpage zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz