Samba Server and Windows File Sharing problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karankar, Nov 19, 2007.

1. karankar macrumors newbie

Theres a really annoying issue with Mac OS X that I cannot get around.

Ok heres a scenario.

One of my friends has shared a folder on his Windows PC.

When I log into windows on my Mac (Using boot camp), I can just type \\computername or \\ipaddress as a run command and I will be able to view his shared folder.

Now in Mac I have to press command-K and type smb://computername/ or smb://ipaddress/.

But the problem is Mac throws me an authentication screen. SMB/CIFS File System Authentication. Why in the heck won't it just let me view the shared folder.

It needs me to enter the workgroup or domain, the username, and password. My friend hasn't set up a password for his windows account. Workgroup is just Workgroup, and username is just his name. But there is no password.

Even if there was a password, he has set permissions for the share folder to "Everyone". By doing htis even if he has a password, people trying to access the folder should be able to get through. And that is the case when I try to access the shared folder through a Windows PC. But this darn MAC just wont give up. It wants a password.

Now I can't go around asking everyone that shares a folder to create a user account and password for me. Or to give me their admin password.

There has to be a way to access the shared folder without typing in any password. Especially when the permissions on the Windows side has been set to everyone.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue?

Mac boasts about simplicity, and compatibility and ease of use. But a simple thing like file sharing with a windows PC is not straight forward. Annoying!

2. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

When the username/password screen pops up, leave it blank and just hit enter.

3. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

im dealing sometimes with a samba bug, mac os x wont let me to enter my pc's shares with authentication. Finder always says that im logged as guest, after authentication process.