Samba Shares Headaches

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KlytusLord, Jun 21, 2012.

1. KlytusLord macrumors regular

Hello Everyone,

OSX Version: 10.7.4

I am having a recurring issue that is getting very annoying ...

I have a home network composed of 24 computers, which includes 6 Macs. All the Macs are running the latest Lion version. The PCs are running Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and various Linux distributions.

Sporadically, the PCs will stop being able to access the Mac shares; on the PCs the OS keeps asking for the login information and then proceeds to reject it, and the only way to resolve the issue is to turn sharing OFF on the Macs and then turn it back ON.

I know this is not a login information issue, because as mentioned above, the problem is resolved simply by turning sharing OFF and ON on the Macs. Once that is done, everything goes back to normal, and there is no need to re-enter the login information on the PCs. They simply begin accessing the shares again with the old login credentials.

When the problem occurs, no PC can access a share on a Mac; this includes the Linux PCs, so this also tells me it is not a Windows issue.

Most importantly, the only shares that "break" are the ones on the Macs. When the problem is happening, all of the PCs can still access each other; all of the Macs can still access each other, and the Macs can access all of the shares on Windows and Linux. So the problem is in one direction only: from Windows/Linux to OSX.

Again, the problem is resolved by turning sharing OFF and ON on the Macs, which I assume resets the samba server in OSX.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this problem? It gets very tedious to have to keep using the workaround throughout the day.

Thanks.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I saw, on the apple forums, a possible solution. Some guy said that he unshared each export, then re-shared them and the problem magically went away. There were also some other folks that did some plist hacking with some success.

If the unshare/share trick doesn't work, you might want to do some searching over at the apple forums.

3. KlytusLord thread starter macrumors regular