All iPads Same A7 clock speed on both iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sangdushi, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Sangdushi macrumors regular

Is it safe to assume there will be a higher clock A7 on the air since it will be a bigger machine? Or will they be identical? Has Apple confirmed any difference whatsoever?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Apple never confirms this. But it is safe to assume that. The iPad Mini has a smaller battery, so in order to keep the same runtime, we can guess the A7 in the mini will be underclocked a bit to extend battery life.

I mean, since we are guessing, we might as well make them educated guesses...

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not necessarily. The smaller display would already require less battery life. The original iPad Mini had 16.3 Wh battery while the iPad 2 has a 25 Wh battery so that's 35% smaller battery at the same resolution and the Mini still had better battery life compared to the iPad 2.

The retina Mini has 23.8 Wh battery compared to the iPad Air with 32.4 Wh so 26% lower this time around. In terms of screen area, the 7.9" iPad Mini is smaller than the 9.7" iPad Air by 34%.

When you think about it, it doesn't matter if the iPad Air is bigger. Both of these have the same 2048*1536 resolution and the processing power required to push the same number of pixels is the same.

4. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Pure conjecture, but I'd expect the electricity usage due to the screen/backlight will be the same on both. I think this primarily due to the fact that the density of the Mini screen is so insanely high. The backlights will have to run brighter than an equivalent backlight on an iPad Air due to how tight the pixels are. Of course, the Air has more to area to cover.

Probably a wash. I don't know if the CPU will be throttled in one version vs. the other.

5. illmatic41 macrumors member

While I don't think Apple will put an underclocked A7 in the mini retina, it also wouldn't surprise me if they did. We just learned the A7 in the 5s is 100mhz less than the A7 in the Air. With a smaller battery, I could see the possiblity of the 5s A7 in the mini retina. The Air comes with a 12V adapter, while the mini-retina comes with a 10V...I assume this is because the battery on the mini-retina is smaller, and has nothing to do with the SOC.