Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have two songs from the same album, and I check the tags and everything, but I still have 2 covers for the same album in coverflow. This happens a lot on many of my songs, how do I fix this?

paola105

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah same thing happens to me too. Idk what to do. It doesn't really bother me, but still.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
You can delete album art by getting Info on the song and selecting the Artwork tab. It will have your multi-art in there, just select and 'delete'.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
I have two songs from the same album, and I check the tags and everything, but I still have 2 covers for the same album in coverflow. This happens a lot on many of my songs, how do I fix this?

what you do is go to the songs in the normal view, shift click to select them all, then right click them and select get info. when it asks if you want to edit info for all of them, then you select yes. then change the artist and album name to match so they are all the same and then go to the artwork tab. delete the album cover you dont want and it should be good. any questions you can pm me

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I need to rephrase my question sorry:p

The problem is that I have 2 songs, from the same album, with both only 1 artwork. Yet in coverflow when only those 2 songs are on my list, 2 of the same covers appear on top. And I really only want there to be one and not two of the same covers since it takes up room.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Just a guess: Try going into Disk Utility, selecting your hard disk, and pressing 'Repair Disk Permissions'

Is the art added by you, or by iTunes automagically?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
I need to rephrase my question sorry:p

The problem is that I have 2 songs, from the same album, with both only 1 artwork. Yet in coverflow when only those 2 songs are on my list, 2 of the same covers appear on top. And I really only want there to be one and not two of the same covers since it takes up room.

yeah then the problem is that there is a discrepancy in the naming of the album, if you do what i said earlier it will work, or you can go into the artists folder on ur hard drive and there may be two folders for the same album and if you combine them that should work too

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Don't Repair Permissions, fix the album.

Just a guess: Try going into Disk Utility, selecting your hard disk, and pressing 'Repair Disk Permissions'

Is the art added by you, or by iTunes automagically?

YEEEEAAAARRRRRGH!!!! Repairing permissions is useless. The number one thing is that repair permissions doesn't even touch any user's home folder, so if permissions on the library itself are actually screwed up, 'repair permissions' won't fix it anyway.

This has nothing to do with the album art itself. The problem is that iTunes doesn't really think that the songs are part of the same album.

Two questions:

1. Is the album by a single artist, or is it a compilation (like a movie soundtrack)? If it's a compilation, make sure the 'compilation' check box is checked. And, if you have your songs organized by artist, then the album *WILL* be split up.

2. In the info for the songs, do they have the exact same Album Name and Album Artist? If Album name and artist are the same, it will treat them as the same album.

What I see happen is an album by a single artists where one or two songs have a "xxx featuring yyy" as the artist. iTunes then treats it as a completely separate artists, and therefore a separate album. Make sure the 'Album Artist' is the 'real' artist, then you can have the 'Song Artist' the 'correct' "featuring yyy" one.

So, is this basically what you are seeing (I've limited it to one album for my demo, and have exaggerated it to have many listings,):
MultiAlbum.png

If so, then just add the same "Album Artist", and it will fix itself, like this:
OneAlbum.png

Note that all I did between the two pictures was to add an "Album Artist" that is the same for all songs. (Highlight them all, Command-Return (or Get Info,) and type in the name in the "Album Artist" field. Also make sure that the Album name is the same, too.)

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
This happens sometimes to me too. There is a discrepancy somewhere in the song info tags for that album. Shift-select all of the songs on that album and click "Get Info", then fill in all of the fields as they should be. Make sure that everything is spelled the same for artist and album -- for example, don't name the artist of five tracks "The Beatles" and then the rest "Beatles"

I think that even if all of the artist and album fields are the same for those tracks, even if the year or genre or "album artist" fields are different Cover Flow will see them as two albums.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
This happens sometimes to me too. There is a discrepancy somewhere in the song info tags for that album. Shift-select all of the songs on that album and click "Get Info", then fill in all of the fields as they should be. Make sure that everything is spelled the same for artist and album -- for example, don't name the artist of five tracks "The Beatles" and then the rest "Beatles"

I think that even if all of the artist and album fields are the same for those tracks, even if the year or genre or "album artist" fields are different Cover Flow will see them as two albums.

yeah i definitely said exactly the same thing earlier

akwild

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Can we revisit this issue?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I found it while googling this issue and want to know if anyone has any ideas.

I can actually specify the genesis of my problem. I imported Beck, Guerolito. When CDDB got the info on the disc, about half of the tracks had "Beck" as the artist, and the other half of the tracks had "BECK" as the artist. Being the anal music nerd I am, I changed the "BECK"s to "Beck" and coverflow created two cover images. The strange thing is, one is connected to the first track on the disc. The second is related to all of the others. So it isn't even that it created one image for the tracks that I changed and one for the tracks that remained the same. I click on track one on the disc, and the first image slides into coverflow. I click on the second track, and the second image slides in and stays for the rest of the tracks.

This smacks of a good old fashioned bug that will have to be worked out with a software update, but if anyone has any bright ideas on how to fix it I would love to hear them.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
This has been an issue in iTunes for as long as I can remember. It really has to do with very slight difference in the way they are tagged. Generally if you just select all of them and edit info, then enter the same stuff it will fix the problem.

Album artist may be a sufficient way to fix the problem, but it is definitely not the only way and probably not the one that will always yield successful results as the bad tagging may still be at fault.

The best way, as I said is to edit all the items at the same time and unify the info, generally just clicking the checks in the relevant fields will add unity to the songs and thus fixing the problem.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's also possible that you could have two different images for the cover that look exactly the same but aren't quite. In this case I think you could select ONE track, copy the album art from it, then select ALL the tracks on that album and paste.

bindigok

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
I fixed it. Must edit "Album Artist" in track info.

This issue has been addressed a lot in the threads lately. The fix you used is usually the best way to get all songs from an album to show under one cover in cover-flow. There are a few other fixes, but this is the fastest and easiest. Search around and you can see a lot of people with this problem.

icepop4who

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
Revive this thread!

Hi there. After reading through this forum, there is still no sure solution to this problem. I have a slightly more interesting problem...i have an ipod touch and an ipod nano sync'ed to one computer. Coverflow works perfectly in iTunes and on the ipod touch, but not on the nano (4th G). There is an individual cover art for each of my songs, and there are a ton of repeats. This only happen in coverflow and not in albums view. Can anyone have a crack at this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.