Same App for iOS & Android

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by xArtx, May 16, 2013.

1. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,
    My question for anyone who has individually written the same app for
    both platforms, and is proficient with both platforms (not just languages)...

Which platform would you begin with, referencing that code for porting to the other?
    and why?

Cheers, Art.

2. charmofmaking macrumors member

3. xArtx thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it looks like Cocos2D-X is the shell/interpreter go between thing
    that is compatible with both platforms.
    Nice, but I am talking about writing the same program in the two different languages natively.

I'm really wondering if it's more difficult to port from one platform to the other.

That is a nice link to know about though.

4. christina11, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013

christina11 macrumors newbie

Well, this question is mainly for the person who has worked on both platforms. I have worked only on iPhone application. But, in my opinion I will prefer to start with IOS because it is entirely a different thing. Different computer (mac), strict development rules etc. You have to keep the good quality in order to get your application approved by the Apple. In simple words, it makes you a better programmer. :p

5. ArtOfWarfare, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013

ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

BTW, Android apps can be developed on OS X... In fact, whenever Google is showing off new Android development tools they're almost always showing them from a Mac.

I think they've even mentioned wanting to make it possible to develop Android apps in Xcode but so far the only IDEs they have plugins for are Eclipse (definitely) and NetBeans (I think? I've just stuck with Eclipse so far.)

6. truehybridx macrumors member

If you want to do both the apps natively to both platforms you have a couple options:

Write one first, then try and duplicate that with the other SDK.

Write the base apps for both, but keep the real logic your app needs portable, like how it talks to your server, or whatever it needs to do.

Then theres cross platform toys like PhoneGap that use javascript i believe