Same Apple ID or separate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bignath, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bignath macrumors newbie

Hi,

Firstly I'm new to the forum and fairly new the the "apple world" in general, So forgive me if this is a fairly straightforward question.

I currently have an Iphone 4 and will be buying an Ipad 2 in a couple of weeks.

My question is, is it best to use my same Apple ID that I use for Iphone on the Ipad, or setup a new one.

I am mainly thinking about how Facetime will work with the 2 devices. Also with Ios 5 on its way I am think what is best for Icloud and Imessages.

I am the only person who uses my Iphone, but the Ipad will be used by the whole family. I ideally want my Iphone apps etc on the Ipad 2. But want to use Imessage and facetime from iphone to Ipad to talk to the family if i'm out and about.

So I want:-

• same apps on Iphone and Ipad
    • Itunes to use different playlists on each device.
    • To be able to use Imessage and facetime from one device to the other.
    • all photos, docs etc to sync to both devices via Icloud.

How would I be able to do this?

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Using the same Apple ID will work and is desirable in my opinion.

3. Bignath thread starter macrumors newbie

How would Imessage and facetime be configured with a single Apple ID, or does it use serial number like BBM.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The two ways I've used Facetime is by phone number and email address (both my iPhone and iPod can initiate a Facetime the other). Both iDevices are using the same Apple ID. Definitely use the same ID on both. I can't speak to iMessage.

5. Bignath thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! From what I have read, imessage works on email and phone number too.

Same ID it is!

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would refrain from using the same ID. Mainly because it limits what you can do separately.
    But if you have different IDs, you can then use Home Sharing to share your apps, music, etc.
    Your iMessage now is able to work properly, Facetime isn't an issue of whether its phone number or ID, you can share your photos in the cloud, have separate playlists, etc.

Using different IDs and home sharing you'll have more options available to you, while the same IDs you are more limited.
    Before home sharing, using the same IDs was the only way to go. But now, you can see Apple is making it more difficult and unwise to use 1 ID for different persons.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok... so what options will be available to me if I do that...?