Same as Mac Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machappyboy, Dec 21, 2016.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

I currently have MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel 5000 graphics.

If I buy the $1499 MacBook Pro with 2.0Ghz i5 and 8Ram, will I see any increase in speed or is it essentially the same as my current Mac Air?

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd be quite hard pressed to notice a difference apart from artificial benchmarks.

Unless you're pegging the CPU at 100%, 100% of the time, that is.

4. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I doubt performance would be what you notice. The screen would be the most significant. The Air screens seem washed out to me compared to the Pro's, I speak from experience owning some of the first 13" & 11" MBA. I viewed a 2015 MBP and a MBA a few weeks ago side by side at Best Buy, it was nite and day even on the 2015 screen.

5. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Since they are so close maybe your MacBook Air should be called MacBook Air Pro.

6. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Not a huge difference in CPU but the 2016 should have a HUGE difference is SSD speed...

7. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all! I usually have about 30 chrome windows open and the Air starts to get sluggish... grrrr.

How is the new keyboard on the pro?

Maybe I should go with the Dell XPS?!

8. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I really like the new KB.... It's one of those things that you'd have to try for yourself to judge...

9. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

I love the new keyboard on my MBP. I do admit it takes some time getting used to but I think eventually you notice the benefits. One thing I haven't gotten over is how loud it can be when you type fast but other than that, I look at other keyboards as archaic haha.

10. fs454 macrumors 65816

Chrome is extremely resource hungry with lots of tabs - I'd go Safari for that type of usage, it's a big difference. Other than that, 16GB of RAM could help you as well if you're all about tons of tabs and multitasking.

Keyboard is incredible IMO. It's super noisy and clacky fresh out of the box, but it breaks in dramatically and quiets down after a week or two.

And as for the XPS situation... that's on you. If you can stand Windows as your everyday OS, take a look. It's not going to be made nearly as well and probably will perform worse in day-to-day usage, though.

11. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the hints about the tabs! I'll give it shot on safari!

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The keyboard for me is atrocious and was part of the reason I returned it (2016 15" base). Try before you buy.

The big advantage of the Pro over the Air is the screen. From your usage description (Chrome) the faster SSD is meaningless.

It might also be worth waiting for the next iteration, when Apple will have (presumably) ironed out a lot of the kinks.