Same Computer-Can admin users view other users 'screens' (desktops)??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DoFoT9, Apr 19, 2009.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hey all,

Brace yourself, this is an odd question..

I have been trying to view my secondary account from my admin account ON THE SAME COMPUTER. I am not sure if this can even be done.

I know Remote Desktop can sometimes do it when an error occurs - I am able to view and interact with my user account even though my parents are using the computer with their user account (wierd right??)

Not sure if there are any programs for this or not, just wish there was an easy way to do this, anybody know of a way to do it?

DoFoT9

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think it's doable, although you can just use fast user switching. If you want command-line access, you can just su to run commands as the desired user.

3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmmm damn. i dont want credentials, im admin so i can do anything. the thing is i want to be able to check the desktop for things like emails/IM from adium instead of having to switch users every couple of minutes!! (i have very long passwords haha)

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I just figured this out today. download vine server and run it as the second account on port 5901. download a vnc client (screen sharing will not work) and connect to 127.0.0.1:5901 with the vnc viewer and you can see the other account.

5. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

already have everything you said :) will try it now.

i already have my user account being shared as a VNC through system prefs-> sharing. ill turn that off first. will be back to report soon!!!

thanks!

6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OH MY LORD IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!!!

that is incredible!!!!! thanks so much!!!

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you type your IP address not the loopback address (what I put) you can access the other user from another machine while someone is using the main screen

I was looking for a way to use the computer remotely with out interrupting the main user and I found how to do that on MacRumors then I just added the loopback address and the non screen sharing for the viewer part to see the other user's screen

Can someone who can write clearer instructions make this a guide? it and things like it have been asked many times.

if you changed the port like I said it would not matter if the system vnc server is on.

8. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks but i dont really need to do that.. i have Remote Desktop to remote into other computers around the house..

Remote Desktop???

your instructions seemed pretty clear.

i used the port number and it worked a treat, was just taking precautions. thanks again.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Fantastic trick! I'll have to remember that one.

This is one of those cases where it's so nice to be proven wrong. :)

10. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha yea id hate to say it too! i couldnt think of any way to do it until i was proven wrong. its a great trick - it would be good if Apple incorporated it as part of their "Parental Controls" - that way nobody is safe :p

EDIT: performance of the machine seems to greatly drop for some reason. the VNC window isnt as responsive as it normally is over a network, maybe because the computer has to do both sending and interpreting of images? ill check it out a bit later and see how if i can figure out why.