Same copy of Windows twice

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by destere, Feb 3, 2009.

1. destere macrumors newbie

I need to run Windows XP on both VMWare Fusion and Boot Camp - the reason being that Fusion is handy when working normally, but when it comes to gaming with PC only games, I need the full use of my graphics card so I need to use Boot Camp.

Will I have any problems using the same partition on both Fusion and Boot Camp? If there is a problem, is there anything I can do to rectify it?

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Install Windows under Boot Camp. Then install Fusion and point it to your existing Boot Camp partition. Fusion will run it without a hitch, and you'll only have to maintain one installation.

EDIT: I'm running more or less this same setup - Vista 32 under Fusion for most tasks, under Boot Camp for gaming.

3. dantnz macrumors newbie

Definately do what tomorrow suggested; VMware Fusion works perfectly with the bootcamp partition, I am also running that setup, but with xp instead of vista.

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I'm running my Vista Bootcamp partition with Fusion flawlessly. Even if I have a Core Duo 2.0 ghz Macbook with 2gb of ram, it runs great.