same emails come in over and over

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jdzialak, Dec 23, 2009.

1. jdzialak macrumors regular

It seems about once a week I have a day where emails that i've viewed and then deleted, get re-delivered to me as unread.
    And when this happens, I get like 10-12 at a time come in, even when they were coming in staggered throughout the day, originally.

Is it my verizon.net email, iPhone, or carrier doing this?

I don't think it's my verizon email account, since my MBP does not get the double(sometimes triple) deliveries.

Joe

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Do you have IMAP or POP set up?

Try setting it up again.

3. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Its a POP.
    Should I delete it and start over?
    I've had it in there about a year and this prob is recent.

4. superflush macrumors 6502a

If you can, use IMAP ... it is much better.
    But, Verizon??? really??? you might as well just switch to a GMail address.

5. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

What's wrong with Verizon email? I have Verizon Fios Bundle. HD TV service, home phone, and high speed Internet. I don't think I can change that it's a POP.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

omg. huh?

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

He's trying to say that IMAP might not be possible with his email.

8. superflush macrumors 6502a

I hope so. It didn't sound like an intelligible thought.

9. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Lookout... Grammar police. =]
    I don't think I can change the Fact that it's a POP. I can't just set it up as an IMAP.
    I enter the server info and it says POP in the grayed out heading.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just because you have the FIOS bundle does not mean you have to use Verizon mail. You know that, right? You should switch over to Yahoo or GMail.

11. superflush macrumors 6502a

No, not grammar. You just seem to not understand email.
    Email is email. There are different protocols for setting up your email in an email application. It is not necessarily that your email address is one specific protocol. For example, I could have my GMail on my iPhone set up as POP3 or IMAP. IMAP is much better, which is why I use it. Certain email providers may not offer IMAP to its users, which definitely says some bad things about them as an email provider. If your email provider doesn't allow for access to IMAP, then that is even more reason why you should switch to GMail.

12. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Of course. I have a work email that is tied to a website (that is an IMAP), but my Verizon is my personal email, and has been for a few years, and I've never had any trouble with it at all.
    I really don't wanna change email addresses again. I had Adelphia, then Roadrunner, etc.. Its just a pain.
    What's so great about gmail?

You are correct on both counts. I do not understand email protocols. I do know that my Verizon is specifically a POP style. What's the difference between POP and IMAP and how it would affect me as a user?

Joe

13. superflush macrumors 6502a

If you want to read in depth about the differences, the Wikipedia articles surely have some info.

But the main difference is that when you use IMAP, if you view or delete a message on your iPhone, it will show up as viewed or deleted in GMail or your Mail application on your computer, etc.
    ... whereas in POP, when you view or delete messages, they are only viewed or deleted on your device, not anywhere else. So, let's say you are using POP on your iPhone, you are out the whole day, you get 30 email messages ... 20 of those you delete, and the other 10 you just view .... when you get on your computer, you will see all 30 messages as unread (and you would have to do the work of sorting them again)
    ...whereas if you were using IMAP, the messages would show up the same everywhere. You would see the 10 emails that you kept but read on both your iPhone and in GMail or your desktop mail application.
    This is why IMAP is a much better user experience.

14. jdzialak thread starter macrumors regular

Got it. Thank you.

Joe