Same facetime camera on 5C/5S/SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robes1, May 20, 2016.

1. robes1 macrumors newbie

So I've read that the new SE facetime camera is essentially the same one that is on the 5S. But how does this compare to the Facetime camera on the 5C?

The specs I read look like they're identical, so do all three models share the same Facetime camera?

2. C DM, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Correct, the front facing (FaceTime) camera is the same on all 3. The FaceTime camera on both the 5s and 5c was upgraded from the 5. The SE uses the same camera module. The only difference is the better ISP in the A9 processor in the SE may improve the image quality slightly.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2016 ---
    Almost forgot, the SE also has a Retina Flash (i.e. it can use the screen as a flash).

4. robes1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know, thanks for clarifying. Kind of a bummer for them to use the same Facetime cam on the SE as on the 5C, but not a deal-breaker.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like there are some improvement even if mostly it's the same.

6. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

It is true that there are improvements, however the improvements come courtesy of the improved image signal processor (i.e. what processes the information that comes from the camera) in each successive chip (A6 in 5c, A7 in 5s and A9 in SE). The camera module itself is the same.

7. Azzurro macrumors regular