Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robes1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2016
So I've read that the new SE facetime camera is essentially the same one that is on the 5S. But how does this compare to the Facetime camera on the 5C?

The specs I read look like they're identical, so do all three models share the same Facetime camera?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Correct, the front facing (FaceTime) camera is the same on all 3. The FaceTime camera on both the 5s and 5c was upgraded from the 5. The SE uses the same camera module. The only difference is the better ISP in the A9 processor in the SE may improve the image quality slightly.
[doublepost=1463786754][/doublepost]Almost forgot, the SE also has a Retina Flash (i.e. it can use the screen as a flash).

robes1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Correct, the front facing (FaceTime) camera is the same on all 3. The FaceTime camera on both the 5s and 5c was upgraded from the 5. The SE uses the same camera module. The only difference is the better ISP in the A9 processor in the SE may improve the image quality slightly.
[doublepost=1463786754][/doublepost]Almost forgot, the SE also has a Retina Flash (i.e. it can use the screen as a flash).

Good to know, thanks for clarifying. Kind of a bummer for them to use the same Facetime cam on the SE as on the 5C, but not a deal-breaker.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Good to know, thanks for clarifying. Kind of a bummer for them to use the same Facetime cam on the SE as on the 5C, but not a deal-breaker.
Seems like there are some improvement even if mostly it's the same.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Seems like there are some improvement even if mostly it's the same.
It is true that there are improvements, however the improvements come courtesy of the improved image signal processor (i.e. what processes the information that comes from the camera) in each successive chip (A6 in 5c, A7 in 5s and A9 in SE). The camera module itself is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.