Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Ok so I always import my photos into iPhoto then export and save on hard drive. But today I just realized that the new photos that i've exported have the same file name (IMG_1078) as another old photo that i might have deleted on my phone. I had no idea about this before and probably have overwrote many photos. shiiiiiiiiiit ****kkkkk what to do?!?! How can I back up all my photos incrementally in the same folder on my hard drive and don't have to worry about them overwriting each other due to same names?????

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
in windows, you can rename all the files in a folder by hitting select all. it will rename them in consecutive numerical order. thats what i did when i backed my photos up to avoid this issue.

for a mac computer, im not sure. im using an imac now and wanna know how this will work going forward myself.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok so I always import my photos into iPhoto then export and save on hard drive. But today I just realized that the new photos that i've exported have the same file name (IMG_1078) as another old photo that i might have deleted on my phone. I had no idea about this before and probably have overwrote many photos. shiiiiiiiiiit ****kkkkk what to do?!?! How can I back up all my photos incrementally in the same folder on my hard drive and don't have to worry about them overwriting each other due to same names?????

Are these photos in different "events" in iPhoto? If they are use the iPhoto export menu option then select organize by folders per event. Then when you export you will get the photos in folders and the ones with the same name won't get touched since they will stay in different folders.

tako

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
But i kinda just want to put all the photos from a year into one folder.. kinda like a collection. :( and when I import from my phone into iPhoto they all go into one album..

sigh so worried might have accidentally overwrote so many photos already :(:(

----------

Are these photos in different "events" in iPhoto? If they are use the iPhoto export menu option then select organize by folders per event. Then when you export you will get the photos in folders and the ones with the same name won't get touched since they will stay in different folders.

But i kinda just want to put all the photos from a year into one folder.. kinda like a collection. and when I import from my phone into iPhoto they all go into one album..

sigh so worried might have accidentally overwrote so many photos already

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
in windows, you can rename all the files in a folder by hitting select all. it will rename them in consecutive numerical order. thats what i did when i backed my photos up to avoid this issue.

for a mac computer, im not sure. im using an imac now and wanna know how this will work going forward myself.

It works with automator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.