Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hadenbrecker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
Hey all-

Here’s hoping someone here can come up with an idea about the below. I’m completely stumped.

Basics:

I bought a 2019 Amazon Renewed iMac in early August. It was sluggish, to near unusable degree. It ALSO could not play to my brand new HomePod without dropping out, stopping, etc More than about 6 seconds.

Well I got Apple support involved, and we figured out the molasses slowness was related to the HDD not being formatted correctly, as a Fusion drive. That resolved all the molassesness, but in that process Bluetooth had become spotty, and more importantly didn’t help the HomePod audio issues.

To try and trouble shoot that, I:

tried an entirely different HomePod with it. Same issue.

have tried my MacBook Air with said HomePod as well as iPhone. No playback problem at all.

Have tried Spotify as well as YouTube-same audio issues.

So here’s where things take a turn for the infuriating.

i decided to just send the iMac back to amazon and get another renewed one. Turns out it wasfrom the same outfit, and it arrived with MacOS 14.1 or so (as did the previous one), as well as the non-Fusion HDD. (I’ve since updated OS to fully current.)

Annnddd wait for it...

...exact same HomePod issue.

surely I’m missing something obvious??

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks so much, all.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Bluetooth had become spotty, and more importantly didn’t help the HomePod audio issues.
HomePods aren't Bluetooth speakers, so that's not your problem. Perhaps the only thing your two iMacs have in common is their location in your home with respect to the HomePods. Try moving the computer or the HomePod.

hadenbrecker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
HomePods aren't Bluetooth speakers, so that's not your problem. Perhaps the only thing your two iMacs have in common is their location in your home with respect to the HomePods. Try moving the computer or the HomePod.
Yeah, I found that out in my research! Didn’t Reflect that in the Narrative.
I actually have had entirely different internet setups (hardware and all) during this process. iMac 1 used an old setup, then new one; iMac 2 has only known the new setup. Currently is hard wired via Ethernet.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Ordinarily I’d suspect something on the iMacs. But two with the same problem is unusual and makes me suspect something else. Have you updated the HomePod to current software? Have you tried resetting it?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
HomePods are VERY PICKY when it comes to wifi.

I'd suggest rebooting your router as a start.

if that doesn't help you might need to move your router (or HomePod) so the HomePod gets better signal. or add some sort of wireless extender.

hadenbrecker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
Ordinarily I’d suspect something on the iMacs. But two with the same problem is unusual and makes me suspect something else. Have you updated the HomePod to current software? Have you tried resetting it?
Yup. Multiple resets, all software current.
[automerge]1599248266[/automerge]
Yup. Multiple resets, all software current.
Oh and just moved across the room-no change in problem.

hadenbrecker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2020
HomePods are VERY PICKY when it comes to wifi.

I'd suggest rebooting your router as a start.

if that doesn't help you might need to move your router (or HomePod) so the HomePod gets better signal. or add some sort of wireless extender.
Well my office is very small, and physical distance (unless the two being too close!) is clearly not an issue. Would an extender put some sort of technical link in the chain that might resolve any finickiness about the router? (I'm sorry I don't speak this language well!)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
too close is definitely a thing, but as long as you're more than a couple feet it should be fine.

Think of going to a rock show at an arena, big speakers that you can hear loudly at the back of the room, if you were to go up on a lift a few feet in front of the speakers, your ears would be ringing for days it was so loud.

if they're in the same room an extender isn't necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.