Same huge number of permissions are repaired every time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kot, Sep 20, 2012.

1. kot macrumors regular

I'm on
    After (at least I think it started after) applying combo update of 10.7.5, every time I repair permissions I get the same long list of permissions being repaired. This is the list:

Any ideas what might be happening? Also Time Machine backups started being very slow. Might be related to the permissions problem.

Thanks! :)

2. macuser2926 macrumors newbie

Same problem after 10.7.5 update

I am having the same issue. The list of permissions is not as long but they are the same files. Verified and then repaired. Verified again after repair and they are back. Repaired again. My guess is that they will be back again.

My other issue is when I boot up I get the normal grey (with apple icon) screen, spinning wheel. But when it gets to load the desktop the entire screen turns off (goes black) then a blank greyish/white screen comes up, and then finally the desktop will load up and is ready to use. The computer operates normal and functions fine. But this screen thing is bugging me. I am not sure why the screen turns off and then turns back on, to load the desktop. Kinda weird.

Is this normal? I remember a blue screen or nothing at all flashing instead of the screen turning off and going black before loading of the desktop.

I have a Macbook Pro - Early 2011 computer.

Any ideas? Hopefully someone will read this thread and post. I tried doing the basic stuff like PRAM reset and SMC reset. Nothing works. I may try to upgrade to Mountain Lion and see if it fixes this stupid screen thing.

3. kot thread starter macrumors regular

Same with me, and my mac is also the MacBook Pro (early 2011).

4. noircorazon macrumors newbie

Same Issue with 10.7.5

I have the same issue with the update. The only way I was able to fix it was to boot from my 10.7.3 USB drive and reinstall 10.7.3 to the disk.

I checked permissions after the install and there were no issues except that iPhoto and iMovie were updated and will only work with 10.7.5. So I attempted the 10.7.5 update again, same issue with the file permissions.

I will reinstall 10.7.3 and wait for Apple to fix this problem.

5. kot thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I sort of fixed that by clean installing ML. ;)

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is a known OS X issue with HFS+. I listened to a length talk by John Siracusa of ArsTechnica explaining that HFS+ is basically stretched (added onto so many times) to the point of introducing bugs like this into the filesystem. Nothing can fix it other than a clean install. Apple really needs to move onto a modern filesystem.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.
    Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions: