Same OS, same browsers, but different look of site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mnieuwenhuizen, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mnieuwenhuizen macrumors newbie

Hello, been working on a little widget for a web site of us and it looks fine on my MacBook, a 2 month old white MacBook with OSX 10.5.6. On some of my colleagues MacBooks (some very new, some old) the widget looks different: there's some added space between the text that causes div's to move across borders and in some cases even creates scroll bars that shouldn't be there.

Bizarre thing is, it works fine in ALL browsers I have on my MacBook (Safari, Firefox, Chrome), but for people where it doesn't work, it doesn't work in ALL their browsers. So it's not a browser thing, not an OS thing (as the problem occurs in older and newer MacBooks), but it seems to be a settings thing.

I have used a reset CSS file in my code, have set all the heights of the fonts in pixels (and note: on MacBooks that show the problem the fonts and font-sizes are the same , it's just the spacing that seems to mess up), have reset the zooming in the browsers, and have even reset Safari, but the problem is still there.

Driving me nuts. Anyone? The link is http://www.iens.nl/tmg/index.php, and this widget should look ok with the text neatly centered on the backgrounds, and not running out of their "containers" as happens on some MacBooks here.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I notice the link you provided actually opens this page in an iframe. That page isn't enclosed in an<html></html> tag, has no doctype, no <head></head> and no <body></body>.

Not 100% sure if that's what's causing the issue, but it's not good.