Same performance as rMBP 15" but less weight

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peterpan123, Aug 8, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, the performance of my rMBP 15" 2014 is fine enough. Do you think there will be a Mac laptop within the next few months that has similar or better performance than my current laptop but weight at about 1kg? Better if it has a dedicated graphics card as I run 3D CAD software as well. I don't play games on it through.

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

1kg with the performance of a 2014 15"?
    No way. It doesn't seem possible to me.

3. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is preventing this from happening? Heat from the graphics card? I guess the 15" screen is a factor. I am willing to go for a smaller screen (13-14" and in rare case 12"). Will that still be impossible for a year or two?

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You are asking for the weight of the current 15" to be cut in half yet still have the same power.

5. Fthree macrumors 6502a

6. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I said, I am willing to have a smaller screen (12-14"). If possible, 16GB RAM and similar or better battery life. It seems that there is no much gain to go for a rMBP 13" now. I also heard that the new MacBook sometimes slow down in graphics applications. Both MacBook and MacBook Air cannot take more than 16GB.

Do you think an iPad PRO will have these capabilities? Is there such a Windows based laptop? It seems that even among Windows based laptops, anything below 1kg do not have a dedicated GPU. Also, the max RAM is 8GB.

7. Fthree macrumors 6502a

the biggest problems I've noticed with PCs is that YES they tout an amazing amount of power but their lack of being able to adequately translate that power to synergistically working is the PCs downfall. Macs run slightly behind in busting out the latest and greatest but when they do they do it right.

8. theluggage macrumors 68030

No.
    It would overheat and the battery would last about half an hour.

Nobody knows the specs, whether it is ARM or Intel based or if it is even going to exist, but its a pretty safe bet that they're not going to pack a rMBP 15" into it. Most likely, ARM-based and unlikely to give the new MacBook a run for its money. At most, MS Surface Pro territory.

More powerful CPU & GPU = More heat generated + more power consumed = bigger box to allow cooling + hold enough battery.

The ultra-low-power CPUs aren't even available as quad core at the moment.

If you look at technical specs alone, you can certainly get a Windows laptop with more bangs per buck than the rMBP 15" (esp. if you want a discrete GPU) but it will be a power-hungry brick compared to the Mac. Plus: Windows.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Here is your answer - roughly.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In a word NO.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

We are still a long ways away from what you want. The 15" Pro is already the thinnest, lightest laptop with that CPU, with the best battery life by a good margin. Most Windows laptops with that CPU are about 7lbs before the weight of the monster power brick.

Your best bet is probably the 13" Pro. It's not as light as you'd like, but it's by far the best combination of power, footprint, and weight. If you don't need dedicated graphics, the single-threaded CPU performance is actually pretty close to the 15" model.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

If they existed and cost less than $2k, I would buy several, but I'm not high.