Same RAM??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dopeyman, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I purchased 2 sticks of RAM from eBay, but they're not working on my '09 MacBook....

The top stick is one of two of my original 1GB. The bottom stick is one of two of the purchased 2GB RAM.

Are they the same?

When I insert the purchased RAM, the MB beeps once every 3-5 seconds. I've tried various combinations with originals and purchased sticks. I've tried one at a time. I've resetted the PRAM. I don't know what else to do.

I've tried talking to the seller, but he's refusing to accept the return cause he had a no return policy on these sticks. So I've escalated this to eBay to make a decision.

So I'm asking here if the sticks that I purchased the same as my original.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Huh, this is odd. Looking at the stickers they are both the same type of RAM, 1067MHz (PC3-8500S). Your MacBook should be able to handle that size. All I can think of is that something is damaged, the new RAM is bad, the connection is dirty, or the RAM slots are damaged.

Check if there is any dust in the slots. Also you can try cleaning the pins of the new RAM with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol or similar.

Have you tried putting in the original RAM? If it does not work then you probably damaged your RAM slots. If it does then something is wrong with the new RAM.

3. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that the slots are not damaged cause the original RAM still works.

4. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Then its probably bad modules. Admittedly the picture is pretty bad on my phone, but i cant see anything wrong with it specs wise.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple computers are notoriously fussy about DRAM, you should only buy from a vendor that sells Apple approved DRAM that you can return or exchange.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I don't see why. The RAM is the exact same type as the original. It should work.

The pins on the new RAM look a little dirty, while the old one is clean. You should clean it, and then maybe it would work.

7. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried cleaning the pins and still they didn't work. But since the vendor didn't wanna cooperate with a settlement between us, I had to get ebay involved. They sided with me and I got the refund :)

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Macs have a reputation about being "fussy" about RAM but I've not really found that to be the case.

Since I play around a lot with older PPC systems, I have drawers full of PC-133, DDR-1 and DDR-2 that I've scavenged out of PCs at work that were headed for surplus, or just found lying around wherever. My work Powermac G5(a notoriously fussy computer) has DDR-2 sicks in it from 4 different vendors.

In my experience, if a stick causes problems-whether in a 12 year old G4 or in a new computer like the 2011 Macbook Pro I'm typing this from-it's most likely a bad stick and not a computer problem. This is especially true if other RAM works fine in it.

I both buy and sell on Ebay. I accept returns, so this has never been an issue for me, but be glad that Ebay has the return policies they do for situations like this. I've had escalate cases a few times(I rarely have a problem, and when I do can usually work it out with the seller), and it takes a LOT for Ebay to not side with the buyer.

9. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to test the ram? A machine? Or somewhere I can send them to get tested??

10. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Cool, so you kept the RAM? Free RAM :D

----------

Just put it in some PC that accepts that RAM. If it works, then boot into Memtest and do a thorough test to see if it is fully functional.

11. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it might be free RAM cause there was no mention about returning it. But regardless, I think they might be non functioning sticks

12. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

You could try testing it on another laptop. Late '09 Macbooks like 1067/CL7 RAM. There are high-latency RAM like the Kingston KVR series (cheaper and laggier) which will make your logic board beeps.

13. Jonathon71 Suspended

Two RAM

I Macbook is dead now. I opened it and took out the Hard disk drive and now I'm using it with my desktop. But the RAM is unemployed completely. I've got nowhere to use those two. Each of them are 512 MB. How can I help you or how can you help me.

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What? There's more to RAM than I thought? Please explain.

15. brdeveloper, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I don't know what more you weren't aware, but some Macs prefer low-latency modules. Kingston used to have the KVR (Value) Series and the KTR (better specs). A 2009 Macbook or Mini don't like these KVR modules from what I know, but KTR (or KTA, don't remember) ones will work.

Regarding the CL7 I mentioned:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

16. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Today I received my new RAM from ebay. I put it in and it didnt work! I have exact same problem as you :eek: D': :(

17. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which mac did you buy them for?

18. poiihy, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Mid-2009 15 inch MacBook Pro. According to Apple's page about RAM it says to use 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800S and that is exactly what I got.

I am making my own thread for this so please discuss there

----------------
    NEVERMIND, I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!! I WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG TABLE ON APPLE'S SUPPORT PAGE! ( http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165 ) Dx I was looking at the page for the 2012 MacBook Pro because when I clicked the link for 2009 MacBook Pro, it scrolled me to the 2012 table. D: damn support page

stupid apple support page... and me. :(

Now I have to return this bloody ram... Well good it had a hassle-free return policy :p