Same SDK for OS X and iPhone OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kisswonder, Jun 29, 2009.

1. kisswonder macrumors newbie

Idea is below the experience with new Mac:

I used now 20 years microsoft windows.
    There are several things I like, but what I really hate is the stability.

7 days ago I bought a brand new Macbook Pro 15" with SD card slot, because I heard OS X is more stable, faster, etc....

OK: here is my small summerize:

a) the dock...well, I like the new taskbar from windows7 more. There you have a better overview. At OS X I always ask myself which windows are now really open. I only see icons...but no text. I have to use expose to see this. I don't like to hit always an additional button to get a better overview.
    Maybe i miss something...
    b) the font smoothing from OS X is not my favorite. Really! Dear Mr. Jobs...please rethink this part. The font is for my eyes blurry! I read a lot about the reasons, but you will never convince more ex-windows users, because of the blurry font. I suggest to offer two options of font smooting.
    c) small software market for OS X (I am a bit disappointed)
    d) safari is perfect
    e) it's stable
    f) it's fast
    g) it's sexy

Conclusion: Even when there are some parts which I don't like:
    I love the mac :apple:

Now to my idea:

iPhone has now thousands of apps. Apple shares the revenues with the developers (70/30).
    What's about having a SDK for iPhone OS and OS X together. I think there are several apps on iPhone which are on the mac useful, too. Of course it needs different thinking about the resolution. But where is the problem?
    Isn't iPhone OS based on OS X?

This will solve several things:
    a) more software (incl. games) for the mac
    b) more motivated developers for OS X
    c) more revenues for apple
    d) exchanging iPhone app data with mac
    e) more fun

What do you say?

Apple, if you like it, don't forget to patent it ;)

Best,
    kisswonder

2. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

They are very different platforms, I don't think it's possible.

About the dock, you will know which programs are open by the indicators under its name on the Dock, so you click on it to the windows (if is there any) return to your screen on the first position (or not, if they are minimized on the dock).
    Coming from Windows, that's one thing you will need to get accustomed. As you have said, after 20 years of Windows you will always fell something on the change. Have you managed to get that every program share the same task bar/menu bar ? :D

3. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

what's the difference between iPhone OS and OS X?

I thought iPhone OS is a "reduced" OS X. Isn't it?

About the task bar: I am talking about the new Windows7 task bar. It combines launch button + open windows = nice overview. In this case I have to say: Well done Microsoft.

4. revs macrumors regular

Right click the dock icon for a text list of open windows.

You will probably be happy once 10.6 arrives as there seems to be a more Windows 7 style dock available.

The iPhone OS and SDK is based on (and cut down) from OS X. iPhone developers could easily create apps now if they wanted to - its not much different from an iPhone app.
    However - Desktop applications are a lot bigger! iPhone apps are relatively small, and you know exactly what kind of hardware you are running on.

So basically what you want already exists, its just that iPhone apps are a lot quicker and easier to write. They also tend to be a lot more simple (i.e. do one task well).

oh and as for point C (small software market) - you should find that (other than games) pretty much every application you need exists on the mac, or has a mac alternative.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, that's how things are supposed to be. You want blocky fonts, you go back to Windows.

Yep, let's blame Apple for this and not the companies that aren't making their software for Macs... :rolleyes:

They're actually completely different and based on different processors. A unified SDK really isn't possible.

6. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

as mentioned earyler , you will like the dock in Snow Leopard, apples next os commin in september

they let it act more of how u would like it.

7. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers! We will see what's the apple strategy :rolleyes:

Unified SDK:
    Maybe it is possible I am not that hopeless. :D

BTW: "blocky fonts" how many years you haven't used windows? They aren't blocky :eek:

If the font smoothing at mac is that perfect, then I ask:
    a) why does OS X offers a function to prevent smooting below font size 4-12?
    b) why will snow leopard change the part of font smoothing again?
    ...you know the answer! ;)

8. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! looking forward to it :)

9. Nadinengland macrumors newbie

Please say I don't have to be the first person to say, it's already been done do I?

Attached Files:

10. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

this is completely different to Win7 taskbar. Apple is grouping! At Win7 you can choose. If you are not grouping, then you have a pretty nice overview. Without clicking additional button. You just see it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLXq2SkwaY

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can choose between windows... what do you mean? :confused:

Attached Files:

12. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Is this maybe the feature you are looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZFLVV2mIV0

It allows you to hold your mouse on an icon, and all the windows come to the front, labeled. All you do is click on one to go to it, or in the gray area and it will disappear.

13. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

look in OS X it's like this (correct me if I am wrong. I just came from windows)

Dock:
    LaunchButton1 | LaunchButton2 | LaunchButtonN ...

If you want to start the App you have to select click the LaunchButton. If an App has more windows, then you have to click at "LaunchButton" the right mouse and see it in a context menu. Right?
    Means you still have this:

Windows7 Taskbar:

If you want to start the App you have to select click the LaunchButton. If an App has more windows, then you you see it DIRECTLY in taskbar, because the LaunchButton has changed. It's not anymore a LaunchButton, because the App is now running

So it looks like that. And it shows also text of the Window. e.g. the name of the open word document (I started 3 Windows for LaunchButton2):
    LaunchButton1 | OpenApp2 Windows1 | OpenApp2 Windows2 | OpenApp2 Windows3 | LaunchButtonN ...

Get the idea?

14. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, that's much better. But still not the same ;) Anyway...

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, the iPhone SDK, which includes Xcode, already allows developers to write apps for the Mac as well. But you gotta kinda choose which when you set up your project. But the problem is there are a myriad of things that differ between the platforms that are not easily resolved, such as Cocoa vs. Cocoa Touch and interface rotation. Sorry if this sounds harsh but without a deeper understanding of the issues involved it's not appropriate to make a judgement call as to the feasibility of such a proposition.

16. kisswonder thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks! That's the answer I needed. Now I have a better understanding!