Same songs in Lossless and AAC in iTunes - is that possible ?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by CHSeifert, Mar 18, 2011.

1. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Hey,

I have 600 GB Apple Lossless songs, which I would like to play in my Itunes library along with the other AAC and Mp3 songs I have there also.

Problem is when I need to have some of my lossless songs on my Iphone player, I need to convert them into AAC format so they take up less space - but is it possible to have the same songs in two fomats in iTunes and how can I make a system like Sonos see this :confused:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is possible to have the songs in two formats on iTunes, although I don't know how Sonos would deal with it.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I know iTunes can definitely do it. Not sure about sonos.

4. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I would like to isolate the songs I have and use on my Iphone 4 32GB into one separate folder/directory - so that I know these songs are for my Iphone ONLY, meaning they won't contain any lossless files, which takes up too much space on my 32 GB limited Iphone 4 music player.

Is this possible ?

I could in theory have my full music folder on my 2 TB Time Capsule for my Sonos and then have the music I only use for my Iphone on my internal HDD drive in my iMac...... maybe this is the solution, so the music does not get mixed up !?!

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

So you have ALAC and AAC in iTunes, and you just want to sync AAC to iPhone, correct?

What you can do is create a new Smart Playlist (hold alt and press the cog in the bottom left), and set it to include songs with a bitrate of >320. You'll also want to enable 'live updating', or whatever it's called. You can then choose to sync your iPhone with only that playlist :)

6. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

In short what I want is:

Complete music library on my TimeCapsule 2 TB (containing my 750 GB Mp3/AAC music and my 600 GB Apple Lossless music)

Separate music library exclusively for my iPhone 4 with the best 5 start tracks from my Apple Lossless music collection converted to AAC 256 and the best 5 start tracks from my Mp3/AAC library.

I will use the complete music library on my Time Capsule on both my Sonos music system and on my iMac

Is this possible :confused: