Same songs listed twice in iTunes. help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by network23, Nov 11, 2007.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

My setup is similar to one that I've seen posted here in the past. I have a network drive that stores all my music. I use a single account to add new music to iTunes, then when I'm in my usual account, I update iTunes using Add to iTunes and the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" are unchecked.

I just set this up a couple weeks ago.

In looking at my music library, I have a problem. Many of the songs are listed twice. In my music account, iTunes shows I have 2432 songs. In my account, iTunes shows 2744. When I Get Info on these duplicate songs, the ONLY thing that is different is their play count and ratings. I can't say this is true for every song, but it looks like the duplicate listing doesn't have any stars or play counts.

The thing is, they are both pointing to the same file, so I am unsure what to do.

Should I just delete the extra listing but tell iTunes NOT to delete the files off the hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

2. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I'd try one song. Copy it so you have a backup. Delete one from iTunes if it works you are good to go, if not delete the other and then readd it. As long as you have a backup of the song I don't see how any playing around would hurt.

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thats what I'd do, but you'll lose all your existing playcount data.