Same thing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MaskedPhantom, Aug 13, 2007.

1. MaskedPhantom macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

If I get the 2.4 GHz 24" iMac and upgrade to 2.8 GHz, is that identical to the maxed-out one, exept fewer RAM and HD space? Cause I don't need 500GB of HD space and I'm gonna upgrade to 4GB RAM anyway... Thanks for your help!

2. Broken Friday macrumors member

Pretty sure it's identical to eyes, and memory. Though, numbers vs humans units are a whole nother story. :)

3. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

You confuse me.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yes that's exactly right. Originally I ordered the stock 2.8 with 750 drive and BT MM. Then I realized that the $1,799 model upped to 2.8 and the same drive would actually cost $150 less since it had 1GB instead of 2. Everything else the same. So I cancelled my order and ordered that. And ordered 4GB RAM from OWC. With the $150 and tax on it, it worked out to $73 more incl. the 4GB RAM I ordered than the original 2GB stock model I ordered. Only problem was when it arrived yesterday it had screen issues, so it went back today and I'm waiting on a replacement.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

apple thinks of everything, they know that some people will want the maxed out imac so they save you the 3 buttons you have to click and do it for you!

6. nigrunze macrumors regular

Same Price

It's the same price if you customize the lower end stock model and the higher end stock model with the same specs.

Probably the best thing to do is customize the lower end 24" to your liking and keep it at 1 GB of RAM. That way you can save money by buying more RAM from a 3rd party for less money.

7. Broken Friday macrumors member

The speed may not be noticeble to your eyes. Though, "technically" speaking, it is.

8. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

Well, the reason I'll be upgrading to the 2.8 GHz is so my machine will be even more "future-proofed" than before.

Plus, I have to have the greatest thing. ;)