Sample library to replace/compliment Logic library

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mark28, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

How are the samples of Komplete 7?

Or should I perhaps try something like VSL or East West?

2. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

The library included with Komplete 7 is ok, pretty broad ranging but not amazing sounding.

From your mention of VSL is it specifically orchestral samples you're after?

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not orchestral specifically. Just samples that are of outstanding quality. :)

4. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

It can be pretty tricky, as for orchestral stuff I often use LA scoring strings for strings, East West for brass and woodwinds and symphobia for weirder scoring tools.

As for everything else, there are a load of great Kontakt libraries available, from mellotrons to harpsichords, blues harps to clavs.

Basically I reckon there is no 1 library out there that does it all, so Komplete 7 is a pretty good place to start, you can always add more libraries to it as you go along.

What is your budget? LA scoring strings is over $1000 for instance!

5. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the list. What do you recommend for the most realistic piano? :)

I have about $3000 :p

6. Mac Composer, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Mac Composer macrumors member

It all depends on what kind of music you do.

I'm using the VSL Special Edition, LASS strings and Spitfire Percussion. I've got my orchestral basses covered, although it seems like this will be the year of the brass library. Several manufacturers are coming out with next generation brass. I don't do any solo piano, so the Bosendorfer that's included with VSL works great for my needs.

You can pick up LASS Lite now for $400. It won't include the divisi option, but it's a great section string sound with incredible short bows.

7. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

The best piano is Synthogy's Ivory, Not only does it play beautifully, and sound great but has some great less "real" patches too and lovely sounding reverbs.

I'd say with your budget get Komplete 7, and then add on extra libraries as you see fit, LASS, east west or VSL for instance.

Other really useful software is spectrasonics, RMX, Trillian and omnisphere as with these you'll have your, loops/beats, bass, synths and pads/textures pretty much covered. for great real sounding drums, addictive drums are great sounding and MUCH lighter on rescources than DFH etc.