Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IP8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Hello,

Please can you share sample photos from 8+ (or 7+) showing the difference between wide angle lens and telephoto lens. (I realise it is not really a telephoto lens but it needs a name.)

Can you please take a photo of the same scenery or object using the wide angle and Tele lens without moving. Please make sure it is only using optical zoom and no digital zoom. To do this I believe you either use a manual camera app or cover the other lens to confirm which lens is being used.

Thankyou

jakontil

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Hello,

Please can you share sample photos from 8+ (or 7+) showing the difference between wide angle lens and telephoto lens. (I realise it is not really a telephoto lens but it needs a name.)

Can you please take a photo of the same scenery or object using the wide angle and Tele lens without moving. Please make sure it is only using optical zoom and no digital zoom. To do this I believe you either use a manual camera app or cover the other lens to confirm which lens is being used.

Thankyou

Fyi, it really is a telephoto lens not just a name

IP8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Fyi, it really is a telephoto lens not just a name

Ok I guess it is. I just meant I realise that the telephoto lens is still quite wide.

Look forward to seeing some comparison photos.

Thanks

IP8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Bump

Can anyone please share comparison photos between wide angle and telephoto lens on iPhone?
Please make sure it is optical zoom only.
Thanks

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Just random photo taken while waiting for someone to see if the telephoto lens gave a degraded image.

It doesn’t.

a2058d9011154a1f509daf8316cb901c.heic

726f4944cbaf622723608ff0a2d847b6.heic

IP8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the comparison photos. The telephoto lens has more zoom than I expected.

Please keep posting the samples. :)

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing the comparison shots.

I was looking at the photo details and all the wide angle shots say HDR but the telephoto examples don’t - why is that?

Thanks

Very good question, I have no clue - I'd love to know why too. :)

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for the comparison photos. The telephoto lens has more zoom than I expected.

Please keep posting the samples. :)

I've read that the 35mm film equivalent focal lengths are roughly 28mm for the wide lens and 57mm for the telephoto. That makes for quite a versatile combination. Then there is the digital zoom as well. Apple claims a 10x digital zoom, but of course you lose resolution the farther you digitally zoom since it's just cropping the shot. As Newton's Apple says, these phones aren't made for birding... but they will work well for a lot of general photography needs.

We've come a long way from the VGA camera phones of the early 2000's. Heck, the image quality has come along away even from the iPhone 6 I'm currently using.

Sean

Reactions: IP8

IP8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Approximately how close to a subject can you physically get with the phone when using the telephoto lens and still correctly focus?

Thanks

P.S. Please keep sharing the comparison photos. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.