Samsung 12.2" Galaxy Pro

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by preyan, Apr 19, 2014.

1. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Saw this in the Samsung Store today. Seriously was like "WTF are they thinking?!" It's like Samsung is willing to have no standards and sell anything that sells. It isn't huge....it's GInormous!!!! :eek:

It like takes back everything tablets worked so hard for, to gain respect out there.

It's beyond massive. Pretty much the sizes of a laptop! Tablets had that edge over laptops when it comes to size and compactness. Not just the thinness.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I love mine, it is big and there is a time and a place to use it but it is light in the hand for the size of it. Amazing screen, love how it syncs with my phone and the big screen is amazing for YouTube and watching films. Very good sound quality too.

And now you can buy cases for keyboard OT can be like a laptop too. It's a lot of money but worth it as it's my main stay at home tablet.

3. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

The inanity of this post is unbelievable. From the vast majority of pro owners, this tablet has gotten great reviews. I won't bother listing all of the positives; look into them.

It takes back what tablets have worked so hard for? LOL!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This thread = "I don't like it so it must be stupid" post.....

Now please remember :-
    Just because you dont like product A doesn't mean that it's wrong for everyone.

I remember the same ignorance when Apple first unveiled the iPod.

I remember the same ignorance and vitriol when Apple said they were switching to intel.

I remember the same ignorance and negativity before the iPhone & later the iPad.....

I remember the same responses when Apple unveiled the first MacBook Air

------

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it won't be successful or find a market ....

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I don't want one, I'll give Samsung credit they have a tablet in practically any size you could possibly want.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'll stick with my iPad Mini Retina.

One Samsung/android device is about all I care to handle at any time.

7. mclld macrumors 68000

8. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

I do recognize it's thin form factor and that ends up coming with a light form factor but whatever happened to holding something in your hands on the train etc. This will work if your are ready to sit down and do something but it's impractical to whip out from your back pack or handbag just to check emails quickly.

Well comparing to other size tablets, it does seem impractical.

It just looked enormous and I'm thinking, I'd rather have a thin laptop instead where I can work on a proper 12" screen with ease of use.

The size is what shocked me. I'm sure the functionality is great but the size isn't made for "whip out and check quick stuff" :confused:

9. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

What did you expect from a 12.2" device? Samsung somehow managed to squeeze 12.2" into a 7-10" case ?

10. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It depends though, everything is relative. Look at the size of the iPad Air compared to the previous generation iPads. The older iPads now look massive in comparison but people still do carry them around.

11. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Worked hard for a very limiting kind of device...

preyan wrote:

"It like takes back everything tablets worked so hard for, to gain respect out there."

Tablets (without a physical keyboard, well integrated in the whole unit) lack just the one important thing that is so crucial for text input, namely a keyboard. So, it's very ironic, that "tablets worked so hard for" gaining respect "out there" for a device of this very limiting type, without a keyboard and the "clamshell-like" very practical kind of device that a laptop is, has been and always will be.

Tablets will perhaps also survive in the market, but IMO can never replace the laptop-type of machines.

But as mclld wrote: "Who is appointed to mandate the standards?"

I really agree with preyan in his later post, however:

"It just looked enormous and I'm thinking, I'd rather have a thin laptop instead where I can work on a proper 12" screen with ease of use."

12. ozaz macrumors 65816

Thats an excessively negative view.

You buy one of the many smaller tablet options instead. They're not going away.

Surely this is self-evident.

Me too. But that's no reason to bash the device. I think it's great that Samsung is satisfying the needs of those who want an oversize Android device - especially for inking in the case of Note Pro 12.2. Apple will receive plenty of plaudits if they ever release an oversize iPad, especially if they add inking.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I use my iPad for netsream tv and Foxtel pay tv and movies at home, so i would like one for home use. Not sure i would pay 1K for one though.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

People need to realise sure it isn't made for just checking something real quick. I use my note 8.0 for that but it is great when you are sat on the bed or in a chair and just want to check YouTube, watching a TV show or film or go on The Internet looking for holidays or talk on forums and the s pen is amazing for what it does. I always use it for when I'm shopping for things for example. Or catching the highlights of the basketball the night before. It'd my stay at home tablet. Which is what I use it for. And with the keyboard cover where you can make it your laptop it's perfect if that's how you want to use it.

Screen is truly amazing on this thing and having a screen of this quality is what I needed.

For my stay at home tablet I wanted something bigger than the normal tablet size. As that's what I use it for. Being at home.

And the way it syncs my notes is great. Any holidays or clothes I've saved in scrapbooker I can view on a much bigger screen.

15. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

People have different preferences and like different device sizes and screen formats. No reason to get your knickers in a twist.

16. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Ginormous? Witness the rumored 5.5" iphone 6 smartphone/phablet. How dare Apple!! :D

17. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Oh, I had a play with one of these, yesterday. It's nice, and surprisingly light for its size. If Microsoft were to bring out their touch version of Office*, for Android tablets, this would be a serious alternative to a laptop for me.

* I suspect this will not be happening anytime soon :(.

18. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

Well, maybe that isn't it's primary purpose? Lots of people leave their tablets at home for 99% of the time. I have never ever carried a 10" tablet with me anywhere, it is just too big to lug around since I don't use a manbag or briefcase on my way to work.

Still used it a lot though. Nowadays I do most of my stuff from either a larger computer screen or a phablet.

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Exactly

Using about is what my note 8.0 is for.

20. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Have you guys check the huge Panasonic "tablet" the one with the 4k display?

21. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

A great device. In a completely different class, incl., sadly, the price.

22. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I don't think they intended this tablet to be a whip out and check quick stuff tablet.
    It's made for productivity and getting things done, not a bigger phone screen

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I'm curious to know, if Apple launched a 12" iPad tomorrow what would you say then?

----------

Yeap, it's also a full blown PC running PC hardware and full Windows and is aimed squarely at the professional and enterprise markets. They didn't design it so you could take it home to browse the web and watch You Tube or play Angry Birds on it.
    Then again some people have giant Wacom tablets in their home setups.