Samsung 226BW Vs 23" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andy5000, Jan 15, 2009.

1. andy5000 macrumors regular

I own a samsung 226bw and have the opportunity to buy the 23" cinema display off a mate, which of the monitors is better quality. i do photoshop/ web design stuff so which is better at colour. i know the samsung is 3000:1 Contrast ration where the cinema displays are only 700:1 arent they:S which is better.
    Thanks Andrew

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The ACD is better. The 226BW has panel technology which results in pretty noticeable colour changes at the edges of the panel, even if you're looking at it dead-on.

3. andy5000 thread starter macrumors regular

so even though the samsung has a much a higher contrast its the acd is better?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

For you the ACD, its a higher quality panel. I find the samsung to be a good monitor for non professionals (not doing photo and design tasks), but if you're serious about photoshop and web design, the ACD will definitely be better.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't know how suitable it is for non non professionals as such - it hasn't really for us - but the ACD is definitely a more suitable monitor for doing photo / web / etc work than the Samsung. The Samsung is a better gaming / entertainment monitor. I would definitely check on Applecare status though - we've really needed to use the warranties.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My cousin owns the samsung and I used to own the 23" ACD, hands down 23" ACD rapes the samsung in terms of picture quality/color rendition/lcd panel itself.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Specs mean nothing, you need to look at the screen. Take a picture and a video along and look at them from all angles.

The acd is a better looking screen than most others I've seen.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont forget the actual panel that these 2 monitors use. The 23" ACD uses a superior S-IPS panel + the same components as Eizos do (read this a long while back in an article) as to the samsung's cheaper TN panels with cheaper components to make the monitor as a whole.

To me these 2 monitors are a world of difference in comparisons and the samsung is not even in the same league as the cinema display. I've done a lot of research on the samsung myself a while back and after seeing it in person, it was just not worth the money even for the cheap price.

Everyday use, game play, movie playback, viewing photos, graphics, etc.. the ACD is the way to go. I would rather pay more money and be satisfied a long time than to pay $200 and not satisfied/torn and finding myself trying to upgrade again.

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

At last the common sense approach...