Samsung 23" or 24" Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Dec 25, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm looking for a new budget display to use as a secondary display for my new mac pro that I'll be buying in Jan/Feb.

I have had some previous advice from these forums asking for advice regarding different brands and I was advised to go for a Samsung over others such as Dell and Hyundai.

Therefore, I have seen 2 samsung monitors that fit the bill. One is a SM-2343BW which is a 23" with a 2048 x 1152 resolution and the other is a 2443BW which is a 24" with a 1920 x 1200 resolution but costs £40 more than the 23".

Which one would you advise to go for? The 23" is £189 and the 24" is £230.

2. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've just been looking at the spec sheets for these 2 monitors and I hadn't realised that due to the strange resolution of the 23" screen, the dimentions are also strange. The height of the 23" is 32.5cm where the 23" ACD that I already have is 53.6cm.

As I am going to be using these 2 screens side by side, would I be better off looking for a screen with the same (or very close) height to the ACD?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would go with the industry standard, which is the 24". That 23" sounds shifty to me. I have the same model, but with a 'x' at the end of 2443bw. Not exactly a color accurate as heck display (being a TN panel), but I use it to extend my MacBook's tiny 13".

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Do you find the colours ok though? I've just looked at the measurements of the 24" and the height is 17.6" where the ACD is 17.7" so pretty close which is probably due to the ultra thin bezel on the Samsung. Any idea what the difference is between the 2443bw and 2443bwx?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ well I think the extra 'x' is actually a downgrade since the non 'x' version has a USB hub (I think). I think the 'x' version is a bit newer, that's all. The colors are pretty good for a TN panel I've heard.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks, I'm still tempted to go for a 23" ACD but I'm just having a hard time justifying spending £450 on a secondary display when I've already got one 23" ACD for my main one...would be nice to have 2 matching displays though

7. MacBook08 macrumors regular

If the new laptop you're looking for happens to be any of the three new macbooks with mini display port, don't buy a Samsung (monitor or tv). Many users (MacForums and Apple Discussions) including myself, have experienced numerous problems from "check signal cable" messages to no response at all with Samsung (and even dell) displays. This isn't the case with all monitors; my less than desirable HP monitor works fine. So if you're planning to buy a new macbook, you might want to test out some other brand.

Here's a couple threads:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=613468

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=589201

8. MicroBiz macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can you tell me where you have seen a 23" ACD for £450?

9. Luizerd macrumors newbie

Luizerd

Dont Buy A 2343BW

I HAVE LOTS and Lots of problems with this screen. first a blue pixel wide line in the middle, send him away got one back. all NEW. now i have some weird flicker in the top left. REALLY ANNOYING.
    for now on DONT BUY IT

PS: if someone knows what to do please help.