Samsung 25.5 wont work with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booch, Feb 10, 2009.

1. booch macrumors newbie

I just bought a Samsung T260 monitor but when I hooked it up, the MBP would not recognize it. It showed the background but not the dock. Tried several different resolution settings, no luck.
    I talked to Applecare, they tried several things, no luck.
    Then she said she checked and there is apparently some issues between macbooks and some Samsung monitors.
    Does anyone have a Samsung monitor hooked up to a MBP that works?
    Specifically I am looking at the T240 or the 2443Bw
    I am looking for a 24 or 25 inch monitor that is reasonably priced

2. Kleivonen macrumors member

My external monitor is a 22" Samsung, and it works fine. Not positive on the exact model though.

3. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Go into the system preferences then display preferences (second tab in the display pref screen) and see where the second monitor is aligned with your main screen (above, below, left or right). If it shows the desktop background it should be working it just sounds like it is secondary monitor. If you are trying to run in clamshell mode hook up an external keyboard and mouse close the laptop lid and wake with the external mouse/keyboard.

4. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Damn...I bought the same monitor!!!

I hope you find a way to get this working. I bought the same model T260 waiting on my 17" MBP to hook it up too. It would suck if I bought it just to play xbox 360 on!!!

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Damn. I really hope that this isn't a problem with the unibody MacBooks as well :(

6. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

7. clat22 macrumors newbie

I have the 25.5 Samsung t260. I have it hooked up to my brand new macbook (white one that just came out) and it looks absolutely amazing.

This is my first mac ever, and I am running it in "clamshell mode."

I didn't even install any drivers for it, just when I plugged it into the mini-dvi port it new right away it was the samsung t260.

Hope you get it working.

8. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Wait...which white macbook that just came out? Are you meaning the unibody macbooks with the mini dvi port? Or the older sold white macbooks?

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Configure it in System Preferences. Any monitor connected to a Mac will be used as a secondary monitor (extension, not the main monitor). Go to System Preferences and then Displays. Go to Arrangement, and see if the bigger blue box has a white bar at the top. If not, drag the white bar from the smaller blue box onto the bigger one. Wait a few seconds for the system to switch monitors.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Unibody MacBooks don't have a "mini dvi port" it's mini DisplayPort, completely different. To clat22, does that MacBook have the NVIDIA 9400M graphics or Intel GMA X3100? The older white MacBooks have the GMA, while the current white MacBooks have the NVIDIA 9400M. The Unibody MacBook also has the NVIDIA 9400M.

11. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

My Unibody MBP hooks up to my T260 just fine. I've also tried it with my bosses T240HD and had no problems with that either.

12. xoggyux macrumors 6502

external monitors will only show you the background (wallpaper) unless you configure it to show you something else, or you DRAG something into that screen. As far as i know there is no way of putting the dock in both monitors unless you use the MIRROW array.
    Go to the apple icon in the taskbar, then system preferences then displays then go to arragement, there you can choose which one is the PRINCIPAL DISPLAY (im guessing in your case you would want to put the 25.5" as principal, though if i would have to choose i would leave the built in as princial and then just drag and drop all windows to the external monitor, in that way i always have a clear view of my desktop and dock in the built in monitor, also keep in mind that most of the applications that you close in the external monitor will open next time on it, so by doing this you are not losing any functionality) also you can choose mirrowing which means both displays shows exacly the same thing, however if your displays have different ration (e.g. 16:9 vs 4:3 or whatever other weird ratio, then one of the two displays will probably show some nasty black bars.) anyway, experiment and choose which you like best.

13. TSE macrumors 68030

I use the T260 25.5" monitor and T220 22" Samsung monitors and they both work flawlessly with my MacBook Pro. Fiddle with the connection, try different things, try to use only DVI, and fiddle with the Display settings.

14. booch thread starter macrumors newbie

I have got it working
    it was just a matter of changing the mirror settings
    I am new to mac so I didn't know this, but what annoys me is that the first person I talked to at Applecare didn't know either.
    After taking the monitor back and buying another one, I still had the same problem so I phoned Applecare again. This person knew right away what the problem was and solved it. So, in other words I returned the first monitor and bought a different model for no reason. Now I have to go back and return this one and buy the T260 again. It is a good thing FS has a very liberal return policy.

15. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Glad you got it working, you'll love the setup!

16. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Yeah, this forum is always a good place to hunt for answers to your questions and problems with your mac. Glad you got it to work. I have the same setup, just missing a shinny new 17" MBP to hook it up too :mad:

17. RKpro macrumors 6502

I picked up the 24inch T240 a few weeks ago, works perfectly. The dock and menu bar can be dragged over as another poster above said.