Samsung 256 SSD - You cannot install... - GUID Partition set

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pond, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pond macrumors newbie

OK, the title pretty much says it.

I just popped a 256GB Samsung SSD into my (old) PowerBook Pro1,1 2.16Mhz machine.

I used the disk utility to properly partition the drive (1 partition) and set the Scheme to GUID Partition Table successfully. Verified the drive and the disk utility seems to like it.

I restarted with the install DVD (10.5.7 from a "13-inch Mac OSX Install Disk" - 9J3050) and it still gives me the old, "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume"

So... the OS is newer than the one that shipped with the machine, and the partition table is correct... what gives?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

After you boot with your OS X DVD, go to Disk Utility, partition your SSD again (1 partition, GUID), and make sure it is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

You would need to use a retail DVD of leopard. I think that the system DVDs that come with new macs are tagged to that specific model and thus will not install on older computers.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

5. pond thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh... crud... so there is a copy on the machine but the disk is long gone. hmmm... I guess I'll have to try to clone the drive or something.

Thanks all.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

there are modified installation packages in the hackintosh community that are totally safe and bypass the disk check during install. I know there are some for SL, don't know about leopard though.