Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have got a 2010 iMac and it has 2x2GB samsung PC3-10600S-09-10-F2 (1333mhz DDR SODIMM) memory in it.

Now I want to upgrade to 8GB of memory and I know there are many types of memory that will fit like some kingston modules and some hynix modules for example.

However I do want to put the samsung memory in it because I already have it now (it looks nice to me:p). Now I was doing a little research and I found there are samsung SODIMMs (1333mhz) which have a little different type numbers.

-PC3-10600S-09-10-ZZZ
-PC3-10600S-09-11-B2

The PC3-10600S-09-11-B2 memory has been used in some 2011 MBP's.

But now I want to know what is the difference in the ram modules because the numbers are different but all are 1333mhz...

Anyone?

Thanks!

Brm-G

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2011
and what would timing mean:confused: I don't know a lot about hardware.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Laman's terms- how fast the RAM is at performing certain types of operations beyond just its clock speed (the MHz) - here's a good (albeit somewhat technical) breakdown of RAM timing and such- http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/9981-ram-timing-explained.html

Don't go OCD on timing and such, for lots of cases its' not a make or break end-of-the-world problem for most computer users.

edit: My apologies for the slow response- this thread didn't show up in my account as updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.