Samsung 470 120GB SSD "fixed" my 17" 2011 MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by revelated, Jun 6, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I haven't tried BootCamp - I did the test I was wanting to do so I don't need it anymore - but it did fix other issues I have.

For those that didn't know, I had an Intel X25-M from a 2010 MacBook Pro. That SSD served me extremely well for what I used it for. When I put it in the 2011 MacBook Pro it seemed not to be the same drive I was in love with. Boots were nearly 20 seconds slower for some reason. Once the machine was up and running then I got the full SATA2 experience, including VMs. But the boot speed was annoying, amongst other things (such as the screen not waking up properly, requiring me to close the lid and then try again before it will reply...not the drive's fault.)

So I decided to try a new SSD. The Crucial C300, a SATA3 drive, failed miserably and had to be returned to Amazon. The Samsung 470 was on sale at Fry's so I picked up the 120GB version...I simply could not justify the substantially higher price of the 256GB version, and I won't need it in any case as my job is going to buy me a MacBook Pro to use so I don't have to use my own for the demos I do...so I won't have a need to have the large VMs on my drive anymore.

I feel it necessary to point out that the Samsung 470 not only is a rock solid performer with great speeds, it fixed the boot issue I was having. The MacBook now shows the gray apple within a couple of seconds of booting, as opposed to a 10-20 second delay before seeing the apple. I also get about 2-3 spins of the cog before getting to the boot screen, better than the 5-10 spins I was getting before. So far it seems tailor made for the 2011 MacBook Pro, and I can't recommend it enough if you're searching for a SSD, don't want to risk SATA3 issues, but want a great performer.

But that left me with a bit of a mystery. Given the X25-M was over a year old, is it possible that I inadvertently found evidence of the SSD degradation? I did do a full TRIM format in Windows and a fresh install, thinking there was just a bunch of garbage, but there seemed to be no improvement. I'm wondering if the drive just was starting to wear down over time. It was still reasonably fast after booting, but the boot speed was an absolute joke.

2. teddat macrumors member

teddat

couple things that might have worked as moving drives from one computer to another can slow things down like checking root ownership of / and repairing permissions that can be amiss after changes.

3. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Uhm did you select your Intel drive as the startup drive?

Not doing that can cause a significant delay in booting. Go to System Pref > Startup Disk > and highlight the SSD.

But seeing that you have a Samsung 470, I guess it's useless for me to say. But I highly doubt that the drive [Intel] was the problem.

4. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

Wasn't a root permissions or bad permissions deal. Even on a clean install, the drive's performance was subpar on the 2011 vs. the 2010.

Again, clean install. Selected as the startup disk already, PRAM/NVRAM, all were clean. The drive was just an underperformer in the 2011 for some reason. I don't think there's anything wrong with the X25-M as a model, because it worked fine once booted and works fine as an external USB SATA drive. But as a boot drive it had issues for some reason.