Samsung 470: Quick Installation Guide and First Impressions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freddy1765, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Freddy1765 macrumors member

So, I just installed my brand new Samsung 470 128GB SSD in my 2011 13'' MBP, and I wanted to share my thoughts and first impressions for others to read, if they themselves are contemplating this upgrade.

First of all, the physical installation of the drive is extremely simple - this really shouldn't deter anyone from upgrading, or paying a technician to do it for them. I followed this guide http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_install_ssd_unibody_macbook_pro
    which details the process quite thoroughly.

Secondly, formatting the drive (which is something I spent quite a long time researching) is very simple! When you've taken the SSD out of the box and installed it, turn on the Mac, and wait a bit - a window pops up giving you various options like installing the OS etc. One of the options includes opening Disk Utility, which you want to do before installing your OS.

In Disk Utility, make sure you first partition the drive, and then format that partition to HFS Extended (Journaled) otherwise known as HFS+, which is the file format OS X uses.. Also make sure the drive is set to GUID to make it bootable.

When you've done that, close Disk Utility and you return to the initial menu, where you now click "Install Lion". GG.

So, now that I've installed the drive here are my thoughts;
    I still haven't transferred any large files to/from the drive, but in 'everyday' application usage it's significantly faster than the stock HDD; programs open quicker, the computer in general feels way more responsive.
    The actual installation of Lion took ~5 minutes, which I think is quite fast!

So far, though, the biggest boon is definitely the noise (or rather, the lack of)!
    Initially I was disappointed with the noise coming from the MBP; when sitting in a silent room the "fan" was actually very noticeable, something I had not expected. It wasn't until after a couple of days I realized my external HDD made noises very similar to a fan, and I wondered whether the HDD in the MacBook was doing the same thing.

As it turns out, I was right - it was not fan noise, but the HDD spinning away (even in idle condition), the sound of which (at least to my ears) is very reminiscent of a fan. Now that the HDD is gone and my fan @ ~2000 rpm (default in OS X), there's just no whooshing whatsoever.
    If I put my ear directly onto the keyboard it becomes audible, but sitting upright typing it's practically impossible to hear. Wonderful!

I know SSDs use less power than HDDs, though as of yet I can't comment on the practical implications of this.
    For the record, I haven't enabled TRIM via the TRIM Enabler hack; hopefully the built-in garbage collection of the 470 will be adequate to maintain performance.

That's all, folks; hopefully this will help some people out there who are looking to upgrade their MacBooks with an SSD! I already feel like I've gotten my moneys worth, that's for sure.

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I upgraded to a Samsung 470 a week ago as well and the installation was, as you said, very easy.
    It has been working extremely well and it very fast, though you can find faster.

With this SSD installed I can Restart my computer in less than 14 seconds.

I would also recommend this SSD to anyone who is thinking about upgrading their computer.

3. marnuc macrumors member

I just got mine yesterday, the install was also super easy, and the difference is very noticeable, it boots in 11 seconds, although it is a sata 2, I cant imagine how would a sata 3 ssd would work.