Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenLeong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
With education discount, the 128GB OEM SSD upgrade is $90. The Samsung
470 128GB SSD on NewEgg is $229.

I just ordered a new MBP with a standard harddrive because I figured I could upgrade to a SSD myself and save some money.

Did I make a mistake? Is there a $130 differenc between the two?

And if I ordered the new MBP yesterday, is it too late to call and add the SSD?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Not worth the difference in price, as they're practically the same drive. It's most likely too late to change the order. Smart thing would be to return the computer and re-order one with the SSD.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Yeah the 128GB OEM SSD upgrade for $90 is a great deal.

If you want to do it yourself: Crucial M4 starts at ± $210 at Google shopping. That will be a bit faster than the Samsung 470.

Ktm.Moto

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Yeah the 128GB OEM SSD upgrade for $90 is a great deal.

If you want to do it yourself: Crucial M4 starts at ± $210 at Google shopping. That will be a bit faster than the Samsung 470.

I want to do the $90 upgrade too, although I am afraid I will regret only having 128GB... I don't know what to do!

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
I want to do the $90 upgrade too, although I am afraid I will regret only having 128GB... I don't know what to do!

Try it. With some disk space management 128GB can do.

If it doesn't work out you could sell it.

PS. I use the 500GB Seagate XT hybrid drive, very happy with it.

karant-rex

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Well I am facing a very similar predicament, I can either go for the Samsung 470 128gb + 750gb Apple HDD or a Apple 128gb SSD + 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 5400rpm HDD. But there is no price difference in my case as I will have to spend the additional 100$ saved on the Apple SSD on the Samsung 1TB drive. What should i go for. In the first case i get a faster SSD but a slower and smaller HDD. What should i go for.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Well I am facing a very similar predicament, I can either go for the Samsung 470 128gb + 750gb Apple HDD or a Apple 128gb SSD + 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 5400rpm HDD. But there is no price difference in my case as I will have to spend the additional 100$ saved on the Apple SSD on the Samsung 1TB drive. What should i go for. In the first case i get a faster SSD but a slower and smaller HDD. What should i go for.

What do you value more: a small performance gain or 250GB extra storage?

This review shows real world performance differences between Samsung 470 and Kingston V+ 100 (very similar to Apples SSD): http://www.techspot.com/review/387-intel-510-ssd/page5.html

karant-rex

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
What do you value more: a small performance gain or 250GB extra storage?

This review shows real world performance differences between Samsung 470 and Kingston V+ 100 (very similar to Apples SSD): http://www.techspot.com/review/387-intel-510-ssd/page5.html

So the Apple SSD and the Kingston are the same, do you mean in terms of performance or are they literally similar like having the same controller and stuff?? While i dont mind 250gb of extra space the SSD performance is what matters the most.
Also in the review you linked to the Kingston V+ has incredibly inferior 4k QD32 Read/Write performance, how will that affect real world performance??

Ktm.Moto

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Try it. With some disk space management 128GB can do.

If it doesn't work out you could sell it.

PS. I use the 500GB Seagate XT hybrid drive, very happy with it.

When you say disk space management, what would be some examples?

Sorry, not trying to jack the thread.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
So the Apple SSD and the Kingston are the same, do you mean in terms of performance or are they literally similar like having the same controller and stuff??
They use the same controller, and probably similar or the same NAND.
Also in the review you linked to the Kingston V+ has incredibly inferior 4k QD32 Read/Write performance, how will that affect real world performance??
For single user operation it doesn't really affect real world performance. Also see the real world benchmarks here: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6178

Very heavy, disk intensive multi tasking can be affected.

When you say disk space management, what would be some examples?
I just mean deleting stuff, moving files to an external drive and keeping an eye on disk space etc.

BenLeong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for the info everyone.

I called Apple today and asked if it was too late to change my order and add the SSD... turns out I caught it just in time. They cancelled my first order and sent me a confirmation for one I know I now want.

128GB isn't as big as I would like, but I have lots of external harddrives for that. Having a good SSD that's basically the exact same as the stable and reliable Samsung 470, for only $90, and installed for me by Apple... how can i not pass that up?

Cant wait to get my computer! It will be my first Mac, too. All my life I've owned ThinkPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.