Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Hey,

It is confirmed that the Samsung 4K 28" TN monitor does not work with 4k/60Hz.

source: article

It appears that 10.9.3 has added support for a few multi-stream (MST) DisplayPort monitors, but as far as I can tell there is currently no support for single stream DisplayPort in 10.9.3. Which means all of those cheap 4K TN panels are a no-go.

MST monitors are suffering from their own set of disadvantages and issues as well. I really think Apple has to step forward and solve this with their own 4K Thunderbolt Display asap as nMP owners are buying 4K monitors left and right that are giving them poor result.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Hey,

It is confirmed that the Samsung 4K 28" TN monitor does not work with 4k/60Hz.

source: article

It appears that 10.9.3 has added support for a few multi-stream (MST) DisplayPort monitors, but as far as I can tell there is currently no support for single stream DisplayPort in 10.9.3. Which means all of those cheap 4K TN panels are a no-go.

MST monitors are suffering from their own set of disadvantages and issues as well. I really think Apple has to step forward and solve this with their own 4K Thunderbolt Display asap as nMP owners are buying 4K monitors left and right that are giving them poor result.

Apples (positive) attitude towards 3rd party 4K display support makes me think there isn't anything coming from them. I think you'll see a stand alone version of whatever the largest iMac is for years to come, but I don't think that is going to be going 4K anytime soon either.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Apple just doesn't really care about 4K - Apple Store at Grove yesterday, a joke

I decided to wander in the Apple store at the grove yesterday.

Finally got face to face with nMP.

Impressive in a "dense and quiet" way.

I noted that they have it set up with a Sharp 321 4K display, the one they had on Apple store online.

This display is identical to the Asus 321 I have at home, right to the point that I could land my fingers on the 7 buttons on the side and switch modes by memory. (No need to look at labels)

I went in to system profiler and was surpassed to find that the one and only Mac Pro in the Apple store was outputting at....30Hz. I thought it must just be that someone wasn't familiar with the insane and arcane procedure to switch to MST mode. So I went through the 10 or so button pushes. No change, still in 30Hz.

And then it hit me, they had it connected via HDMI.

No way to do 60Hz without Dual HDMI on this display. And I don't bet Apple has enabled Dual HDMI output. So no way to get 60 Hz out of an HDMI connection.

So obviously, nobody with a brain was involved AT ALL with displaying that machine. In fact, nobody cared. Tucked in the back corner of the store it is sitting there on May 16th running 10.9.1 and outputting via HDMI at 30 Hz.

In Kansas I might understand, but this is smack dab between Hollywood and Culver City, with a gazillion post production houses within 5 miles. And NOBODY WITH A BRAIN was involved in setting up and displaying this.

I was floored. Clearly Apple HQ didn't bother with a package that included a DisplayPort cable and instructions to connect with DP and then enable MST mode. They just let the happy-go-lucky kids connect it with any cable laying around in the back room. I'll bet they tried USB first.

And yet there were 10 or 20 happy eager faces ready to ring you up on a shiny new iPad or iPhone. They probably had all the important blurbs for those memorized.

But the lonely nMP sat in the back, cursor bouncing and skipping as you try to use it running at 1/2 speed. It was a 4 Core D300 minimum spec machine. Next time I go there I will check if anything has changed, something tells me it won't.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I decided to wander in the Apple store at the grove yesterday.

Finally got face to face with nMP.

Impressive in a "dense and quiet" way.

I noted that they have it set up with a Sharp 321 4K display, the one they had on Apple store online.

This display is identical to the Asus 321 I have at home, right to the point that I could land my fingers on the 7 buttons on the side and switch modes by memory. (No need to look at labels)

I went in to system profiler and was surpassed to find that the one and only Mac Pro in the Apple store was outputting at....30Hz. I thought it must just be that someone wasn't familiar with the insane and arcane procedure to switch to MST mode. So I went through the 10 or so button pushes. No change, still in 30Hz.

And then it hit me, they had it connected via HDMI.

No way to do 60Hz without Dual HDMI on this display. And I don't bet Apple has enabled Dual HDMI output. So no way to get 60 Hz out of an HDMI connection.

So obviously, nobody with a brain was involved AT ALL with displaying that machine. In fact, nobody cared. Tucked in the back corner of the store it is sitting there on May 16th running 10.9.1 and outputting via HDMI at 30 Hz.

In Kansas I might understand, but this is smack dab between Hollywood and Culver City, with a gazillion post production houses within 5 miles. And NOBODY WITH A BRAIN was involved in setting up and displaying this.

I was floored. Clearly Apple HQ didn't bother with a package that included a DisplayPort cable and instructions to connect with DP and then enable MST mode. They just let the happy-go-lucky kids connect it with any cable laying around in the back room. I'll bet they tried USB first.

And yet there were 10 or 20 happy eager faces ready to ring you up on a shiny new iPad or iPhone. They probably had all the important blurbs for those memorized.

But the lonely nMP sat in the back, cursor bouncing and skipping as you try to use it running at 1/2 speed. It was a 4 Core D300 minimum spec machine. Next time I go there I will check if anything has changed, something tells me it won't.

Who is honestly buying a Mac Pro non-configured from the Apple Store?

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Why aren´t MacRumors, AppleInsiders,9to5Mac,etc bringing attention to this travesty? All I see are lame model mockups of phones, and google buy this and that.

And yet here I am with a $10k machine that promised to offer 4K, and it´s basically no monitor out there which supports it properly. MST is a buggy hack way of trying to get 4K out.

With a wave of 4K monitors out, Windows 8.1 supports them, but not OSX 10.9.3 on a Mac Pro? Wasn´t this suppose to be the 4K machine we all drooled about?
I´m pissed.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
With a wave of 4K monitors out, Windows 8.1 supports them, but not OSX 10.9.3 on a Mac Pro? Wasn´t this suppose to be the 4K machine we all drooled about?
I´m pissed.

Not so well for all either, lots of driver issues on Windows over on Overclockers.co.uk wit people that bought new displays.

The New Asus 4K has severe issues as well, where the display would make a loud pop/mini bang sound and then the display would cut out. It ended up with lots of returns, and OcUK try to get ASUS to respond.
It's worth noting that this is the new SST monitors, as opposed to the MST currently supported in OSX.

Very disappointing all round, although I kinda of dodged a bullet when the monitor went out of stock before I could order.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I've been in two Apple stores this week and noticed the same thing - the Mac Pro is shoved in a corner with nothing to say what it is. Covent Garden is one of the busiest Apple stores in the UK and their Mac Pro is in a corner almost under the stairs. I couldn't think of a worse place to put it. It was a similar setup in Kingston.

The one in Covent Garden had a Sharp 4k display that was running in native resolution. It was connected via DP but the Mac was running 10.9.1. The one in Kingston had a TB display, but it was running 10.9.1 and was almost hidden away at one side of the room.

I don't get it. Spend millions developing a new desktop and then almost hide it in store and configure it really badly. If I wanted to look at an iPad, or a macbook air I would have to wait. I walked straight up to the Mac Pro, had a little play, then went onto another floor for 15 minutes, came back and the stuff I left on screen was still there. I know not everyone is in the market for a high-end desktop, but Apple is very good at selling us what we think we want, not what we need. There are enough wealthy people passing through Covent Garden and Kingston who could afford a £3000 impulse buy without batting an eyelid, but hiding the Mac Pro in a corner they aren't going to buy one.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
All of the Macs run an older image of OS X and then they get updated when somebody decides it is time. This has been the case for as long as I have been walking into Apple stores.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
With a wave of 4K monitors out, Windows 8.1 supports them

It might be fairer to say that their manufacturers support them on Windows 8.1.. That's always been Apple's problem: because of Windows' market dominance, making sure that a product works on Windows is the product manufacturer's problem, making it work on Apple is Apple's problem.

Seriously, unless you're doing professional 4k video production and need it now (in which case, you probably don't buy your Macs from an Apple store) I'd give 4K another year or so to settle down - on Mac or Windows.

Its only with 10.9.3 that OS X has had the option for the non-native resolutions
that (should) make 4k viable as a main monitor, and the ink on that isn't dry yet.

Remember - the early worm gets the bird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.