samsung 500gb's... one month later!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boston04and07, Jul 17, 2008.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hey guys! So, I've been itching to get one of the Spinpoint M6 500gb's into my Macbook since I first heard of them last January, and now that they're finally around I'm thinking of doing it. I've read some accounts here from people who installed them, and everyone seemed to be pleased. So now, about a month or so after they first became widely available, I was just wondering how they were holding up, and if you early adopters were still happy with them? Have you seen any heat issues, slowness, or anything else like that? I could have *sworn* that I read somewhere that the reason why they were being shipped in enclosures was because they were currently running too hot for most laptops to handle. But, now, I can't find where I read that anywhere, so maybe it was just a rumor or something... either way, I'd just like to know what this drive is like, and if you'd still recommend it! :cool:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would ask alphaod. I think he was the first here (on Macrumors) to install a 500GB into his MBP. He started a thread a few weeks back on the MBP section, search there.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Any reports about how hot the drive is, is unfounded. I have no issues with heat whatsoever. After a day of taxed used, the HDD is still at 39ºC which I think it pretty good.

Performance-wise, it is speedy; I have a 200GB 7200RPM drive as well and I have to say the performance is compariable between the two, of course you can't get the better random seek of the 7200RPM drive on the 5400RPM drive yet.

Noise levels however is not the best; I have owned 60GB/100GB/120GB/160GB/200GB from Hitachi and 250GB/320GB from Western Digital and they are all very quiet compared to this drive. I guess to get better performance you have to sacrifice something. This is my first Samsung drive except for a SSD, so I can't compare it to another Samsung drive (FYI, the SSD whines).

Overall This is an excellent drive. if you want something faster, is a cheaper, but with slightly less space, I'd recommend looking at the 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200RPM.

5. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hey, thanks for all that! I guess the noise isn't that much of an issue for me, and like you said you have to sacrifice something I guess. Glad it's worked out for you too :)