Samsung 64GB NAND (SSD) Flash Drive installed in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smurfed, Nov 10, 2007.

1. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

That is a Nice find! Thank you for the link. Now if we can get SSD's into production machines it will be Extremely Nice!

2. pamon macrumors 6502

ryan block over at engadget did that to his... pretty sweet..... wait for larger storage and cheaper prices and it'd be awesome... have a 160GB in my MB, couldn't spare the loss of GB's for a SSD.

3. hohohong macrumors 6502

I want one! But i think at least $1000 when first released. I say give it another 9 months and the price will half!

4. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I really need a 250GB drive in my MacBook Pro, I don't see myself using one of these for another few years when storage capacity increases - at the moment, 64GB is far too limited for day to day use.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am waiting for the price to drop a lot, and then plan to move the 200GB 7200rpm drive into an optibay enclosure to replace my optical drive.

I think one of these and a backup HDD would be the best possible combination for the road.

6. Smurfed thread starter macrumors regular

Installing the OSX on the FLASH SSD for boot up will be insane 20-30second startups

and big files for the HDD would be perfect. :cool:

7. watergun macrumors regular

That's a very good guess lol. I have been using Samsung 64GB SSD (pulled out from a Dell) for about 2 weeks now and I just timed the booting time on 2.2 SR MBP. It is 23 secs.

I also plan to use Optibay but from what I read, it does not support SATA drives yet.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

i would love one of these, don't really need anything much bigger than that but price is the adoption barrier for me.

9. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for benchmarks to come out. I have a 160GB HD in my MacBook Pro and I always keep more than 100GB free, I just like having a bunch of space. I keep all my files and music on an external hard drive. So, space isn't an issue, but I'd feel most comfortable with a 128GB SSD drive.

Hopefully they will start offering them when I'm reading to purchase my next MacBook Pro early 2009.